Photo for Comments & Criticism

Canon AE-1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One up for Comments & Criticism. Shot with Canon AE-1 and 50mm 1:1.8 lens.
Untouched and scanned.

river29446746.jpg

It's a very noisy shot. Lots of stuff in the foreground distracting from your intended subject. At least, I assume the water is the subject.

I would have gotten closer to the largish tree and a little lower. That way you see less of the clutter, but still have that "looking out onto the water" feel.

Give it another shot, just try to keep it simple. Use the lines of the tree to point to your subject. It will help draw the viewer's eyes.

Thank you LCARS, i see what you mean. The water and ripples are the subject. After reading your comments, that large tree does stands out and obstructs the shot, duh. I should have realized that.
I shall try again. What do you think of the feel? i was also trying to capture the vintage look as well. I really love the 50,s, 60,s and 70,s photos with "off colors", as a lack of a better term. Just that vintage look.

i agree that trying from another angle would be better, coz of the distracting elements in the foreground..
hmmm..about the feel! you say,hmm i think yes! the colors gives that sort of feeling as being in the 70s, but it wouldn't work if there wasn't strong subject

I would have used a polarizing filter to control the glare off the water.

skieur

Yes, a good idea skieuron that polarizing filter.

Thanks for all the comments, it helps.

Thank you Flying. Yes, those 2 large trees are obscuring the shot. Perhaps if i were to move forward and to the left slightly, to get away from the tress on the left as well would leave a good shot of the water and some vegetation in the background as contrast or compliment to the water? Just a shot of the water would make me feel like my eyeballs are right up on it. I really like the surrounding vegetation. But water would be the main focus.

Perhaps vegetation slightly out of focus as not to distract form the water? I dont want it too busy but not boring either. Kind of a balance with emphasis on the water.

What do you guys think?

Thank you Flying. Yes, those 2 large trees are obscuring the shot. Perhaps if i were to move forward and to the left slightly, to get away from the tress on the left as well would leave a good shot of the water and some vegetation in the background as contrast or compliment to the water? Just a shot of the water would make me feel like my eyeballs are right up on it. I really like the surrounding vegetation. But water would be the main focus.

Perhaps vegetation slightly out of focus as not to distract form the water? I dont want it too busy but not boring either. Kind of a balance with emphasis on the water.

What do you guys think?

there's a simple answer. take a variety of options and see what you like best. pivot and crouch and hold your camera above your head and move backwards and forwards and walk along the bank. the key thing to remember, you can move your camera around AND you can move yourself around in 3 dimensions

we can critique all day to give suggestions but if you like the photo is what matters

Most reactions

New Topics

Back