Photo Forum is Changing rant.

I don't think the OP qualifies as Feedback or a Suggestion, and I think that Rant Room just sounds fun! My portion of this could classify as F & S, and depending upon how it was received here, that was my next stop! :sillysmi:

thinking about it should this not in fact be in feedback and suggestions anyway?
Its not a photographic discussion anyway, but more of a policy and members one and one concerning a perceived problem within the forum as a whole
ps - don't leave Rachel - I don't want to be left all alone as the only demi-newb :(
Ill wait and see-there is alot of good advice on here so I dont want to miss out on that and generally the forum is good, its just these crazy rant threads that put me off.

I don't think the OP qualifies as Feedback or a Suggestion, and I think that Rant Room just sounds fun! My portion of this could classify as F & S, and depending upon how it was received here, that was my next stop! :sillysmi:

another forum (an off topic forum for virginia) has a room called the nursery, you have to ask to be able to view and post in that section, the section in this frum may be worth it, it could be for off topic rants, photography rants and anything else....

why the nursery? is it just for rants?

IMO It is not so much 'the forum is changing' but more a reflection of popular culture and technical advances.

If a good mid-range DSLR went on sale everywhere around the globe tomorrow for $50, what do you think would happen on every photo forum within a few weeks?... now what do you think would happen to the highest ranked google photo forum? welcome to TPF.

Now, as we all know that scenario isn't going to happen, but photography IS becoming more and more accessible as the years progress. Hell, just 6 years ago all i had was a few film cameras and a 2mp digital camera... now, even entry level DSLR's have an amazing amount of technology and extras which make them in many ways more complicated to use... especially to people that have no real previous interest in photography but have just bought themselves a D40 (for example).

So, inevitably we as the general populous that live for photography will get asked the questions.

IMO forums are for asking more experienced people questions just as much as displaying and sharing your work. Yes, it can be annoying when someone asks a question that was answered just the day before... and in some cases i too request that the member use the search tool etc... but if your going to loose your rag with people then its time to stop browsing the beginners section.

Hell, im not even that great at explaining things alot of the time, especially when someone asks a PP question, i can do it 100 times faster than explaining it.... but some people are good at laying out facts in a brief and non condescending way... and those people are valuable to any forum in my book.

In the end tho, what tends to happen is the forum fluctuates. For some periods we seem to have more noobs than image posters... other times a few more experianced people join and the forum goes through a huge theory debate phase!... some great people have left due to the time it took from thier everyday lives, or careers and family or whatever... but some great people may join by the end of the week.... it goes back and forth.

My advice.. use the forum depending on your needs, if you've had enough of reading the beginners threads then just stick to posting your images.... got no inspiration and some time to kill?.. then help a few people out... don't force yourself to get involved with anything that is likely to pi$$ you off at any given time. Most of all have fun.. it is sometimes rewarding to feel you have helped someone understand or achieve something.

Because of this I feel there is giong to be/currently is a glut of unskille dphotographers selling themselves as "professionals" yet there skill is not even close to where it needs to be.

They are around already, I don't know how and why. In the past few months I have noticed low quality photos in the magazines that came with the sunday paper. I did not read those articles but browsing the photos of the advertisement.

Yesterday I went to the cinema to see Narnia. Before the movie start as usual there were local advertisement that are using still photos and background voice. Almost all are of low quality to very low quality photos, and I swear I saw one of them has a blurry photo.

Anyway as the rest of your "rant" - just be patient - as a place like this is similar with aquariums, the fish come and go. Deal with them gently one at the time is wise thing to do.

ps there were bad photographers back before the digital revolution ;)
(also you look to sunday paper magazine inserts for good reliable photography? I would think they woul certainly be running on the cheap

why the nursery? is it just for rants?
this is the nursery heading: For all you crybabies! This is where all the trash talking and BS goes. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS! You have been warned!
its basically for anything that may get other peoples backs up, sstrong opinions that may upset others etc, obviously in an off topic forum its very random stuff.

Oh? What is the URL? :)
it started as a forum for the sevencities area around va beach but its expanded and we now have members from Richmond and washington DC, the site has just had an overhaul, but if you can put up with sh=t that the newbs get, then its a nice site. http://www.vaofftopic.com/forums/index.php

Yes that where noticed it, I did not notice that before. I do notice also that the travel brochures are using very high quality photos in them though. I guess the won't advertise heaven's retreat with B/W photos, or with out of focus pictures.

But you right, they were/are bad photographers around always.

Just wanted to say that while I initially agreed with nearly everything D-50 was saying, I completely disagree with what they posted in the middle of the first page of this thread. The idea that inexperienced people shouldn't post here or that we should bury all threads that they make. That's elitist b.s. that benefits no one.

BUT, I do completely support the idea of having several stickied threads (or, gasp, more Articles for that top forum on the site) that explain exposure, aperture, HDR, etc. I'm on a fitness forum site, and there are about a half dozen of these at the top of several forums. Like on the top of the Weights & Bulking forum there's a stickied lengthy post a forum member made several years ago that goes through the nutrition, exercise, and other stuff that you need to consider when trying to healthfully gain weight. Same thing in the Cutting forum - a lengthy post that details nutrition and exercise for healthfully losing weight. They occasionally get replies, but they stay at the top. And if a newbie happens to ask that question, the first reply is pretty much ALWAYS, "Read the stickies at the top of the forum, then ask again if you still don't understand."

I think what your saying in the OP is great, but what exactly are you trying to change here? Certainly well thought out posts and replies should be the norm. On the other hand; are we here to have fun or to send people somewhere else? This is a forum for beginners and hobbyists. There are a lot of other forums out there if you would like to speak about issues geared toward professionals.

In the past five years TPF has quickly grown, while other similar forums suffer. This growth has not happened by accident. Here there is an incredible mix of photo skills and levels from all over the world. We have always been known as a forum that helps photographers without the "holier then thou" attitude. Of course there are exceptions. Generally it is not that intimidating and actually provides for some lively discussions. I believe that helping budding photographers creates a positive learning environment. I have seen members go from what is an ƒ stop to owning there own business.

Change is inevitable. We can not start labeling posts or members. Basically the whole forum will eventually suffer.

Love & Bass

Amen Craig!!

I haven't read through every reply on this thread so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been stated.

I am 100% for helping to educate budding photogs. I was new once and someone helped me out. Hell, I still need help now and TPF is the first place I turn to. If I answer the same type of question 1000 times, then I know that I have helped 1000 people.

One day TPF will be recommended as much as Understanding Exposure is to newbies.

Before I get started, I just want to thank all the knowledgeable people on this forum who have helped me.

I guess everybody knows that this is not a new discussion. Newbs have been ruining the internet since it first started.

The OP does have a point, as the forum grows then the signal to noise ratio might very well be decreasing. I'm a newb to photography and to this forum so I wouldn't really know. I do know that I already skip over a lot of the what camera to buy threads. Though I'm still interested in the what lens to get thread. Thats my level.

What other forums have done to try to counter this is put relevant information in stickies and or FAQs. And now that the forum traffic is much higher the cost benefit ratio of doing such a thing is quite attractive. A few nice clear stickies at the top of the beginners forum with topics like "What camera should I buy?", "What lens should you get next?", "How to get criticism on your photos?", "Should I shoot in RAW?", "What photography books are good?" might help. And some of them might be nice and easy to make since we could cut and paste from existing threads.

I'm not saying that would solve the problem. But it might help (and Kudo to Overread who seems to be way ahead of me here based on his article thread).

cheers,
david

What a bunch of whining.

If you like what you see do that. If you don't like what you see, don't do that.

Go take some pictures.

Most reactions

Back