Photo Forum is Changing rant.

Dave127, once you have mastered exposure as regards frontlight, side light, backlight and fill light together with how to expose correctly then you're well on the way toward knowing more than some others on this forum. After that, remember the rule of thirds and you'll have a darned good base for calling yourself a real photographer.

Dave127, once you have mastered exposure as regards frontlight, side light, backlight and fill light together with how to expose correctly then you're well on the way toward knowing more than some others on this forum. After that, remember the rule of thirds and you'll have a darned good base for calling yourself a real photographer.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have the strobist DVD set on order to learn more about lighting. I learn better from visual vs reading.

I also need to get an light meter but would like to understand how to use it. Currently I use the meter on the camera and adjust from there.

... remember the rule of thirds and you'll have a darned good base for calling yourself a real photographer.

See, it's comments like that that I avoid posting because they're obnoxious and elitist. No one has any right to tell someone they're not a "real photographer." They may not be a very skilled photographer, but I think blatant statements like this are wrong, baseless, and unwarranted.

And in reply to a few posts up, I never said that "getting lucky" in terms of snapshots was animal-specific, I just thought of those based upon some recent threads. I've gotten lucky in the past with someone's giant butt (we were in Yellowstone and my dad wanted me to take a shot of this woman's HUGE butt that was sticking through her leather chaps for some odd reason) and lots of sunsets.

Unfortunately, most places change over time - in some cases, it's disappointing; in others it's a really, really good thing. I haven't necessarily been hanging around here for a long while, but I will say that there are always going to be a group of people who make a site what it is and new folks looking for a handout. While it's easy to just say that things change and to feel upset about it, it also makes sense to help others out - a strong FAQ section would definitely help

See, it's comments like that that I avoid posting because they're obnoxious and elitist. No one has any right to tell someone they're not a "real photographer." They may not be a very skilled photographer, but I think blatant statements like this are wrong, baseless, and unwarranted.
quote]

I didn't take it that way. It came across differently to me.

The best way to learn about lighting is by trial and error. Set up a dustbin and take photos of it with sunlight coming from the left, the right, in front and behind it. Try a white reflector to see whether it helps with backlight issues. Then try a direct flash and compare the differences/similarities. Then try it with off-camera flash or bounced flash. You should learn a lot about light like that. Of course you could spend a ton of money on francy kit but try it with a newspaper as a reflector first. Digital cameras mean you can learn an awful lot without any cost once you have the gear.

Consulting the law of thirds before taking a photo is like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.

Hang on....

It was meant as encouragement.

The best way to learn about lighting is by trial and error. Set up a dustbin and take photos of it with sunlight coming from the left, the right, in front and behind it. Try a white reflector to see whether it helps with backlight issues. Then try a direct flash and compare the differences/similarities. Then try it with off-camera flash or bounced flash. You should learn a lot about light like that. Of course you could spend a ton of money on francy kit but try it with a newspaper as a reflector first. Digital cameras mean you can learn an awful lot without any cost once you have the gear.

I will try it, but be prepared for questions. LOL I have done some of this already but I need to keep practicing.

The strobist DVD set is about lighting with low $$ setups, off camera flash, reflectors, and such. It's parts of his instructional series and seminars.

Consulting the law of thirds before taking a photo is like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.

OK that make sense. I really haven't watch my 3rd's, I have been trying to watch everything else.

Hang on....

It was meant as encouragement.

As taken

I still think the shot if perfectly fine. It's great for what it is. Who cares if the surf is a little blown? The subjects are not. If you were standing on the beach on a bright sunny day looking at the reflections off of the waves, they would appear blindingly bright. There is no compelling reason to change that in the photo. If you'd like to go edit the life out of it, then yes it would be possible to burn more detail into the highlights. In fact, you could have shot it a stop under, with fill-flash. Hoo ****ing ra. This isn't an editorial fashion shoot. It's a photo of their kids for christ's sake.

Come off it.

Isnt it only fair to give an honest review of the photo so the poster can learn? Thats what I want. And honestly, I enjoy your C&C but you are the first to nit pick (i.e. "digital sky"). This pic is so far from great, lets be upfront so the poster can grow as an artist. To just say "oh fine its for what it is" is cheating them. Its selfish.

Most reactions

Back