Photo of the day

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes, just one photo, not my usual dozen :)

An old gas station (and I do remember when it was a gas station) on Hwy7 north of Toronto. Over the past few years tenants have moved in and out of the building and once again it is vacant.

brou0012.jpg

Enjoy,

Eric

Even though old buildings usually look better in b&w I think you should have sot this in color, because the sky looked like it was probably clear and blue, and this would have added some more contrast. Right now I think that the only thing that it is lacking is contrast; the comp looks good, the subject is somewhat interesting, the angle is pretty good, but the building doesnt stand out very much. Just my opinion. And woohoo, this is my first post ever!

i like it in b/w..maybe a bit more of contrast.. but i do like it as is.. cool pov :D
thanks for sharing :D

I'm more a "color" person than b&w but I agree with Mansi - I like this photo in b&w. Nice work!

i also like this one in b&w, works well!!

MatthewKern said:
Even though old buildings usually look better in b&w I think you should have sot this in color, because the sky looked like it was probably clear and blue, and this would have added some more contrast. Right now I think that the only thing that it is lacking is contrast; the comp looks good, the subject is somewhat interesting, the angle is pretty good, but the building doesnt stand out very much. Just my opinion. And woohoo, this is my first post ever!

The problem is the sky was nice and blue but the building was in shade with the sun behind a cloud. The bright sky over powered the building and it looked like crap. It may need some more contrast in the sky but the building and ground is at pretty much at the max for contrast.

Eric

AIRIC said:
...but the building and ground is at pretty much at the max for contrast.

I was thinking that!
More contrast to the building and you'd begin to lose detail in the doorway!
Colour-person who I am, I like this. Are you still in a dull mood? This photo might represent it, but then I may as well interpret it in a wrong way!?!?!?

This is a very wide angle. How wide?

LaFoto said:
I was thinking that!
More contrast to the building and you'd begin to lose detail in the doorway!
Colour-person who I am, I like this. Are you still in a dull mood? This photo might represent it, but then I may as well interpret it in a wrong way!?!?!?

This is a very wide angle. How wide?

Still in dull winter mode :) 18mm wide angle

Eric

Great shot Airic. I would love to be able to sneak in there. Bet there are some great images waiting to be captured. I like this shot just as it is.

thats a huge gas station... would have loved to see it in its hayday...

great shot eric..( ofcourse, what do i know?? but as far as i am concerned.. i love it..)

the whole subject matter is so interesting.. you can see kids running out the screen door...wanting a coke or ice cream...and a momma climbing into a convertable...white big rim glasses on... scarf over her hair...

cool shot eric....

AIRIC said:
The problem is the sky was nice and blue but the building was in shade with the sun behind a cloud. The bright sky over powered the building and it looked like crap. It may need some more contrast in the sky but the building and ground is at pretty much at the max for contrast.

Eric
I totally dig it. Love the distortion of the WA here and the lonely abandoned building. Great feel. :thumbup:

If I were in the darkroom playing with this as a negative, I agree I'd leave the bottom/foreground alone, but I'd want to burn in those clouds some more to darken that sky. Then burn in around the edges to create a pool of light to accentuate the building. You have a very good capture here, and some creative exposure manipulation would give it the *punch* it needs to make it commanding. :)

wonder how many cars that old place has seen in its time!......agree sky could be darker but its still a nice shot :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back