Photo organisers???

Sardine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have 1000's of photos, and I'm starting to get quite overwhelmed... I currently have them sorted by year, then 'type'/topic ie Flying, then ie military/Airfield etc. Then I rename them according to the day and month taken...

Now, this is a good system in my opinion, but I want a better one. I want to be able to easily search for specific photos ie with aircraft, you sort them according to registration... I'm sick of having sub-folders upon sub-folders.

BUT, this program must be easy to use, and free... I downloaded an Adobe one (not sure which one), but I don't think it's what I'm looking for :confused:

Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Try Google's Picasa.

You can keep the file structure you have (if you want to) but you can easily browse and keyword your collection.

I consent with Mike, Picasa is probably the best free software for organizing!

I do have Picasa, but at the moment I'm just using it to make small edits and stuff, so I don't really know the program. How do you keyword things? :confused: Also, how reliable is it? I don't want half my photos going *poof* for some stupid reason.

I'm very stingy when it comes to my photos:blushing:

I just do the default organizing system.

My system is
Hard drive > dSLR (For Un-edited photos) > Folder (daymonthyear)
or
Hard Drive > Edited Photos > Folder (daymonthyear)

It works really well because all of my pictures are named using Canon's default naming conventions (IMG_****.jpg/.cr2).

Works for me, I don't really like photo organizers because this method works for me.

Thanks Gryphon!

Corbin, I like the simplicity of it, but I want to be able to i.e. search for aircraft with a certain registration and that sort of thing, so I need some sort of organiser, or something that just adds keywords/tags to the photos. The thing I don't like about Picasa is that if you edit/move/delete files in a certain part of it, the same thing happens to the files on your Harddrive... I can see myself accidentally losing a whole lot of images :confused:

Is there a program that just adds tags/keywords??

Thanks Gryphon!

Corbin, I like the simplicity of it, but I want to be able to i.e. search for aircraft with a certain registration and that sort of thing, so I need some sort of organiser, or something that just adds keywords/tags to the photos. The thing I don't like about Picasa is that if you edit/move/delete files in a certain part of it, the same thing happens to the files on your Harddrive... I can see myself accidentally losing a whole lot of images :confused:

Is there a program that just adds tags/keywords??
Check out Adobe lightroom. You can tag photos and do some nice organizational things.

I've started 'learning' how Picasa works, and I'm in the process of tagging and keywording my photos... it's an absolute mission! But, it looks like it's working out, so I'm happy.

I think I did have a look at Adobe Lightroom... the problem is that Adobe and I don't really get on so well :meh: But if Picasa fails me (which it shouldn't), I'll turn to Adobe ;)

I have 1000's of photos, and I'm starting to get quite overwhelmed... I currently have them sorted by year, then 'type'/topic ie Flying, then ie military/Airfield etc. Then I rename them according to the day and month taken...

Now, this is a good system in my opinion, but I want a better one. I want to be able to easily search for specific photos ie with aircraft, you sort them according to registration... I'm sick of having sub-folders upon sub-folders.

BUT, this program must be easy to use, and free... I downloaded an Adobe one (not sure which one), but I don't think it's what I'm looking for :confused:

Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Get a mac and use iPhot!

You could also try FastStone Image Viewer, also free and very good.
The programme also includes batch resize and rename facility.

Most reactions

Back