Photo Pricing Question

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at work the other day (I work at Rent-A-Center) and we had a customer come in looking at a few things, which included a nice big screen TV. He made a comment about how it would look great hooked up to his computer with the photo editing that he does. I made a comment that I used photo shop quite a bit with some of my photos and I ran into the same problems he was describing. It started from there and he ended up giving me his business card, taking my number, and asking if I would like to be a freelance phtographer.

Turns out he runs a couple of small local magazines that focus on wine/dining and houses around the area. He would want me to take photos of houses, inside and out, and things like that. He wanted to make sure I could take photos at 300 DPI (have yet to look into that but I think that I can shoot pretty high quality with my D50).

So my question is.....what should I give him in response to his question about pricing. He wanted me to come up with something.

That is a pretty awkward situation - when your employer asks you to name a price. If you aim too high, you might just be drop kicked like a sack of beans, or if you go to low, you will be hurting yourself. I hope someone has the answer for you!

Definitely going to need more details on your work and experience. Pricing depends on a lot of different elements. If you are just starting try 50 dollars an hour + 15% over post processing and materials. Magazines and publishing in general can be very lucrative. Problem is you only get one chance and you can not blow it.

I really have no experience. Ive got a wedding (my cousins, with a crappy camera) and some senior photos for a friend of my sisters. The first was volunteer and the second I made 100 bucks.

Its a free magazine so most of the profit is from advertising and things like that.

Well its been an odd week. First this and now my ex's sister calls me up, leaving a voice mail, and asks if I would take photos for her friends wedding. Unfortunately I work that day and I have a feeling I wont be able to get it off. Hmm.

this happened to another member - one request for photographic work followed by another soon after. I'm not sure who but i think it may have been Renair in either Dublin or Belfast.
Aplogies if it's not - my memory isn't what it used to be!!

Peanuts - the op wouldn't be an employee if they're freelance. An employee would be paid regardless of images shot (or not shot!) where as a freelance photographer has to shoot to earn.
It's a small detail in one respect but in another it's a big thing - freelance can earn so much more for an image compared to an employee. And it precisely what happens to me - i've become the office photographer to save hiring our PR department's photographer. She's rubbish anyway but i don't get extra money for shots - it's part of my job!!!
If i was freelance then i could earn my salary but then sell the images for whatever price i can to whoever i want.

Here goes a partial answer to your question without knowing the specifics involved..
There are a few considerations you need to take into account, mileage, hourly rate, releases and overnight travel. It could be possible that some of the work you are expected to do would be many miles from your house, so charge a per mile rate. By charging a per mile rate you can cover some of the expenses involved. As to hourly rate, that depends on what you feel the client can afford. A good rule of thumb is generally 30-50 dollars per hour. Also carry releases for property and people with you. If you are doing dining photos it will behoove you to have a release filled out. Some property may also require a release.
The D50 you have can do decent images at 300dpi. I have shot with one and was pleased with the results (even though I do not use Nikon). Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back