Photo program

daddyCreswell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Waiting on my camera to come in so I can start playing around and taking pictures. In the mean time I was trying to figure out what type of photo software I need to have to change my pictures around. I have GIMP 2 already, downloaded free CS2 today and playing with it. Is there something better I can get? PS12 is 65.00, is it worth it? Not going to do the monthly PS program. Another question, how do I know I need to improve a picture I have taken? I can tell when a picture isn't as nice as it should look, but I have no clue how to fix or what to fix. Here is a picture of my son, someone take it and work your magic and let me see what it looks like, then maybe it will help me understand. Thanks

$IMG_7425.JPG

What level of post processing are you planning for your photos? You could do standalone Lightroom for $149, I think?

........... Is there something better I can get? ...

Learn the front end first. Don't rely on software to 'save' anything. Get it as good as you can in-camera.

........... but I have no clue how to fix or what to fix....

This all depends on what your intent is. And your intent should be firmly established before you click the shutter.

Dont college and schools students get discounts or is that just microsoft?

John.

Canon? Nikon? Something else?

I use Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional) for basic photo manipulation and to manage all my files. Its free from Canon (comes on the CD with the camera)... And Gimp for more advanced editing.

I also shoot in RAW. (Highly recommended.... Gives you a lot more control over your images.).

Anyway... There is usually a few solutions that works pretty well. You don't have to pay the Adobe Tax. :)

Last edited:

I use Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional) for basic photo manipulation and to manage all my files. Its free from Canon (comes on the CD with the camera)... And Gimp for more advanced editing.

I also shoot in RAW. (Highly recommended.... Gives you a lot more control over your images.).

Anyway... There is usuakky a feww solutionthat works pretty well. You don't have tp pay the Adobe Tax. :)

Nikon D3200

Dont college and schools students get discounts or is that just microsoft?

John.

I bought some Adobe software years ago in college, and I got a discount. Not sure if they still have the discount program?

What level of post processing are you planning for your photos? You could do standalone Lightroom for $149, I think?
I just plan on using photos for me and my family.

Based on that, see below quote. I concur. For minor tweaks, cropping, etc, use free/cheap software until you feel you need to upgrade.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back