Photo question-resolution and green hair!

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m not sure how to word this. Both photos were a RAW that I processed in Lightroom. The first I saved onto the computer in whatever form the computer was set for as a JPEG. The DPI was around 240 and the longest edge was just longer than 4 inches. The second was the same photo, but it needed to be 300DPI and 5 inches on the longest edge. Why does the second photo look worse? I thought the higher DPI would make a photo better. I am concerned that the photo will look horrible in the yearbook.

And-is there a way to get rid of the green hair? Lol.

upload_2020-10-25_20-4-49.jpeg

upload_2020-10-25_20-5-15.jpeg

Select the area you don't want to be green, then dial down the green channel.

The resolution of the second photo is 60% less than the first photo. The DPI figure is not a measure of image resolution. There also appear to be some processing differences between the two photos. The second photo is lighter. What you're seeing as green hair in the second photo may be some uncorrected CA that isn't apparent in the first version.

The second photo is 300 PPI but it is not 5 inches on the long side it is 4.2 inches. If you made the second photo 300 PPI and 5 inches on the long side it would have a resolution of 1500 pixels on the long side -- still less than the first image which is 2048 pixels on the long side and 8.5 inches.

Last edited:
........ What you're seeing as green hair in the second photo may be some uncorrected CA that isn't apparent in the first version.

I'd say it's more of a function of all the green leaves behind her.

........ What you're seeing as green hair in the second photo may be some uncorrected CA that isn't apparent in the first version.

I'd say it's more of a function of all the green leaves behind her.

I see CA in the waterfall that I don't see in the first image but green leaves is good too.

Thank you for the comments. I’m pretty sure the hair was green before I did any processing. I’ll go back and check. And thanks for advice on turning down the green channel. Not sure why I didn’t think about that. I was in LR cc which I believe is more limited. But I will check.

I really don’t understand the process of getting my photos out of LR. The school wanted 300 DPI and 5 inches. But, I could not find a way to email from LR! All the tutorials say to go file, email, but it isn’t there. So I exported to my desktop and saved to my laptop photos program. Maybe that changed things? I’ll recheck tomorrow. Guess I need To find a good tutorial.
Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back