Photo Shoot Agreement for Real Estate?

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Friend of mine expressed interest in hiring me to shoot a set of real estate photos. I'd like to try and do it right the first time by having a legal agreement for us both to sign. Where do you find such documents or do you have to get a lawyer to make one up for you?

LOCAL lawyer is best. If you live in the UK and surf the net, find something from Alabama or some desolate place in Canada... your client will laugh at you for the simple reason that laws change from place to place, much less from country to country... and this is an international forum and I don't even see a country or city in your profile.

Before you have an attorney draw an agreement, you will need to know what it is you need to have you and your client agree to.

Question- Who will own the photos?
Yeah that question is the one important one. That and agreed usage and pricing structure. Are you planning on charging per shoot or, per hour?

Before you have an attorney draw an agreement, you will need to know what it is you need to have you and your client agree to.

Question- Who will own the photos?

Thanks. I pretty much have that portion drawn out and verbally agreed. I was looking for a standard agreement or basic legal mumbo-jumbo to use as a base to cover those items you don't normally think about kinda like a catch-all. I was hoping there was a place I could purchase a standard doc like you can with a home purchase agreement. Paying a lawyer starts at a minimum of $250-500.

There is a book called business and legal forms for photographers that should have a contract that will work or can be slightly modified to work. The author is Tad Crawford.

You also might want to read this... [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Best-Business-Practices-Photographers-Harrington/dp/1598633155]Amazon.com: Best Business Practices for Photographers: John Harrington: Books[/ame]

Scenario A:
You automatically own the photos and retain copyright. This means the client can do nothing with the images without your approval. Write down the uses you will allow the client. Have the client sign a copy for your records.

I had a response typed up and apparently it didn't stick but I think this scenerio works the best since I will already have a pay rate / service agreement anyways. A simple inclusion of uses would be a good idea.

Blown photos are blown and should be your problem and at your expense to reshoot. Technically accceptable photos that the client (or client's client) doesn't like should be treated (paid for) as another job. Working this out with your client is far more important than all the rest.
Fortunately for me, out of the years I've been doing this, I've only had to go back to one home and reshoot because the homeowner was crazy and hyper or something. I've had enough work from this particular broker so it was no big deal throwing them a 'freebie.'
I agree, not a problem, that's my work ethic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back