Photo Size Limitations

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, I'm sure this has come up somewhere along the line, but I can't seem to find it from searching or browsing, so...

Is there any way for an individual member to shut off the photo size limitation so that he or she can see the photos at the size intended by whomever made them?

I can already hear the excuses that not everyone has a large screen and/or not everyone has high speed internet.

From my experience out here in the real world, those people are both few and far between at this point, but okay, here's a nice compromise, I think: If the forum owner/operators want to keep the current settings as the default for some reason, that's cool. But I think it'd be great if the individual members could opt out of it for our viewing pleasure. Sort of like the option to turn off signatures or turn off PMs, let me turn off that autosize "feature" so I can see what my fellow photograhers intended.

As photographers, many of us are using large screens now, and many of us are even using multiple screens. 600px default looks like a thumbnail on them. Clicking to get the 800px version is a little better, but I'm still not convinced that an automatic resize is going to do justice to the photos we produce, and I still want to see what was actually produced, not the machine's reduced size interpretation. If they wanted to display their photos at 600px or 800px, they would have sized them accordingly.

I really do feel for anyone who's interested in browsing and posting to a photography forum in this day and age, while connecting on dial-up. Are there REALLY any of them left though? Seriously? That was 20 years ago. Is there anyone here NOT on cable or ADSL or something that lets them go faster than 56k? Even the hotspot my phone creates when I'm nowhere near a cable or ADSL modem allows me to move 50MB files in a reasonable amount of time.

I host my own photos, so size shouldn't be an issue from a standpoint of using the site's bandwidth for those of us who post that way. For those who use the site's server for storing and posting photos, I can understand having a file size limitation, but even then, it shouldn't automatically limit the photo dimensions. Some large photos still look great when compressed a great deal. It just depends on how much variation and detail are present in the photo.

Anyway, there it is. If I've missed the setting to turn that off, sorry for the rant, and please point me to it. If there is no such setting, please join us in the 21st century.

Thanks! :D

We have made exactly this point before, and have been ignored, or told "800 is plenty".

Additional thought: you probably couldn't find it because search doesn't really work. You'll get better results doing a search on google with the keyword "site:www.thephotoforum.com"

I have no idea, I don't like it either.

Since we do just "link" to photos that are being hosted on other servers.. would it be worth starting thread for getting "signatures" to have this limitation upgraded? Or has that been tried?

It must be a setting within the forum software. I'll ask the admins what they think.

Keith posted the answer in another thread, which is worth repeating here for those interested:

On point #1 - it doesn't matter how large of a picture you post, the forum resizes it down to 600 pixels on the long side.

That can be changed by the forum member.

Under Forum Actions > General Settings one will find

The Image Resizer - Default (Enlarge in same window)

Image Resizer - Width - I have mine set to 1000 pixels.
Images wider than this width will be resized. Enter 0 in the field below to allow all widths, or leave the field empty to use the default value of 800:

Image Resizer - Height - I have mine set to 700 pixels.
Images taller than this height will be resized. Enter 0 to allow all heights, or leave the field empty to use the default value of 600:

Most reactions

Back