photo storage question?

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the usual way i work is this..

i go out with the camera... maybe shoot 100-200 images.

i dont edit on the camera, i wait while i get home... view them on the PC and then delete about 75% usually... keeping the best shots.

heres the problem, i am going on holiday and obviously i dont want to be taking a Laptop, because instead of enjoying my hols i will be editing through pictures everynight :) (wife will be pleased LOL)

so, do i... take LOADS of SD cards?

or is there a device that can transfer SD card data to a storage device??? so i can reuse the same card??

ive a feeling i will end up buying about 15 SD cards LOL

edit..
Ummmm just found this on ebay??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mobile-Digita...7QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16178QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sounds good and its 40 gig

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I speak from experience, I brought a cheap storage device only to find when I got home, after taking some 1300 photos, that all that it copied from the cards was the folder, sadly not a single file was in the folders

I now own a well known manufacturers one

If you want my advice get either a Jobo or Epson one

in theory though... one of them would be fantastic!!

i was going to take my laptop... i have before. but it seems daft taking a Laptop bag and all... over to Cuba just to store my pictures!!

one of them devices look great :D

after looking at the prices of the epson one... over £300!!
it would be cheaper to buy plenty of 4gig SD Cards at £20.50 each

Epson P-2000 is fantastic and you can get great deals on it roight now as the P-3000 and P-5000 are the newer better versions.

40Gb storage and the screen is fantastic, plays mp3s and video too!

I have a wolverine Flashpac with 80gb drive in it.
It can read 7 cards i think and you can then re-use it.
You can get the wolverine in B&H but being in the UK i'm not sure how much use that is to you.
I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK

I too use a Wolverine Flash pac. ok low cost option but I couldn't recommend it.

Question for EOS_JD... Does the epson P-2000 support RAW? Does the manual mention anything about RAW from an Epson R-d1?

Epson P-2000 is fantastic and you can get great deals on it roight now as the P-3000 and P-5000 are the newer better versions.

40Gb storage and the screen is fantastic, plays mp3s and video too!

just made a quick comparison for the Epson P-2000 in Germany ... Wow, unbelievable ... the cheapest online store has it for 200 EUR, the most expensive for over 500 EUR ... I did not expect such a range ....

I have the Digimate III, it works great.
Its not the best made quality item I have ever seen, but it does its job, and it the perfect solution for this.
I got mine from DealExtreme.com but depending where you live, shipping might take a while.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.781

Couldnt be easier to use, turn it on, insert card, press copy.
Pop the card back in your camera, and delete all images, or format it.
DONE

~John

I have a hyperdrive hd80. Takes SD/XD/MS/MS pro/MMC/CF/MD cards. At the press of a button, backs them up onto an internal harddrive. Connects via USB 2.0 to a computer for transfer. I highly, highly recommend it. It takes 4 AA batteries and i've never had a problem with data loss or slow transfers. They've sinced replaced it with a new model. hypershop.com, i believe is the website.

I too use a Wolverine Flash pac. ok low cost option but I couldn't recommend it.

Question for EOS_JD... Does the epson P-2000 support RAW? Does the manual mention anything about RAW from an Epson R-d1?

Usayit....wondered why you couldn't recommend the Flashpac.
I've not used it a huge amount but when i have i've had no problems with it.

Why don't you like it?

I've been looking at the Creative Zen Vision W. My logic is, it has the built in CF reader, so when I want to use it as a data bank, I wouldn't need extra equipment. However, 99% of the time, a couple cards are plenty, so I don't need a device that's going to sit around, so I could use it as a music player. If I go on vacation, I just delete music if I need more space (I can put it back when I get home.)

Sound reasonable?

Never explored how, but supposedly there's way a to use an iPod. Not sure if you need to hook up a card reader or something... Not helpful, but worth exploring if you're going to evaluate gear to bring.

Never explored how, but supposedly there's way a to use an iPod. Not sure if you need to hook up a card reader or something... Not helpful, but worth exploring if you're going to evaluate gear to bring.

yeh, there's a cable you buy, works with Canon only i think.

Usayit....wondered why you couldn't recommend the Flashpac.
I've not used it a huge amount but when i have i've had no problems with it.

Why don't you like it?

From a previous thread I posted to:

If you need one to pack in your bag to dump or back files directly from digital media, I have the Wolverine purchased from Adorama which is a copy of the one Snap Happy pictured. Works ok. 40gb version with battery power enough to load a little more than 10gb at a time. My grips:
*) NOT BUS POWERED. Still requires an external power supply/plug
*) If the battery is dead, you can't simply plug in the power supply and keep dumping from compact flash. You have to wait for the battery to accumulate a charge. In other words, power is still pulled from the battery pack regardless if the power plug is attached or not.
*) Battery could last longer. Pain to swap out the battery becuase it requires you to open up the unit wiht a screw driver. So carrying several batteries isn't really a practical option.
*) could be smaller in size.

Let me add
*) its pretty slow compared to the other image tanks I have tried out.
*) Size wise.. its too big for my tastes.
*) I reiterate .. PITA to swap batteries.. which makes carrying spares for extended trips out of the question. 10gb in a single "outing" just plain isn't useful with the larger RAW files.
*) there are better options out there.
*) when cards are inserted.. they physically stick out which makes them vulnerable to damage. You can't just insert the card, hit copy, and throw it back into its holster or your bag.
*) when it finishes the transfer.. it waits for a while and powers off (good to save battery). Unfortunately, when you turn it back on you have no idea if the transfer was successful.
*) should have come with a car charger.

Forgot one...

I posted a horror story a few days ago in which I almost lost my precious pictures of the birth of my first child due to a corrupted card (I was almost in tears). The camera is my wife's Olympus P&S and the corruption was due to my attempt to make a backup copy to my Wolverine. I was able to recover it using recovery software but I see no reason why the Wolverine should corrupt my card. Fine.. I now accept it is in a format that it could not understand... but there is no reason to corrupt the card during a read operation.

Most reactions

Back