photo storage question?

ummm loads of options and there is me, thinking im asking a question no-one will know about... cos im a gadget freak!! :D

looks like there is a few on here :) if its an mp3 player too thats good at least while you dont need it, it can be used for something else

and obviously small enough to fit in the camera bag with all the other stuff.
jtice (John) thats the one i was looking at... its £24.99 but you have to put your own HDD in, a laptop drive... £30 gets a 80gig one
so for £55 i get 80gig storage and a rechargable battery pack like a phone/camera :D

ummm decisions...decisions?

there is also this one
http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Products.aspx?action=showproduct&id=222&type=83

and polaroid do one too
http://www.popgadget.net/2007/04/polaroid_media.php

Usayit - i've read your post regarding the Wolverine. A couple of points i agree with eg cards sticking out, when finished it powers off with no idea if the trasnfer was successful (i've actually transferred the same card twice just in case when this happened)
A couple, i have no issue with eg size, speed of transfer given that i have 4 1gb cards.

I realise there will be better ones out there but for the money it suited me fine - i bought it in B&H for around $190 but that was only around £100 to me and was struggling to find a cheaper one. Very difficult to get anything like that in the UK for that money.

What storage device do you use?

The bus power (dual purpose external harddrive for data) and battery is kinda of a show stopper for me... I need an image tank that go for days (multiple batteries) without a power source for recharge. My camera goes for a LONG time before needing a recharge and I would like an image tank that can keep up.

For now.. I've learned to live with its shortcomings. Given how inexpensive it is to the competition, it is an "ok" solution. I plan ahead and have extra cards ready to go. Besides... I have other things to spend my money on.

Never explored how, but supposedly there's way a to use an iPod. Not sure if you need to hook up a card reader or something... Not helpful, but worth exploring if you're going to evaluate gear to bring.

You can use an iPod with the Apple Camera Connector, to connect to your camera and download the images directly to your iPod. You can then sync the iPod as normal, and put the images on your home computer.

Camera Connector

Read the explanations on that page (there is a link for a compatibility list) that will tell you how to make sure both your iPod and camera will work.

I have one that I bought with my iPod over a year ago and will let you know if it works with my Nikon D40X.

The iPod camera connector and a FULL battery charge is good for about 10-15 minutes maximum before the iPod battery is depleted. Caution is warranted when using this solution.

Besides the Epson and Wolverine, I believe that Samsung has something, but I am not sure.

For me, I would tend to go the Wolverine way with a 160-250GB solution. That plus 1-2 spare batteries and a 110V poiwer outlet is all that one would need under most circumstances. If I download to a laptop every day, I have an external 500GB USB 2.0 drive that is more than big enough to handle a good several weeks of shooting pics and HD video (I also use a Sony 100gb HD handycam) on any kind of vacartion I would use this equipment at.

I have Epson P-4500, I like it, it's very useful and never leave from my camera bag. It's not as big as my laptop but much better view than my D200 screen. and It reads RAW! I don't know about Ipod, but if it reads RAW too then I would prefer an Ipod.

The new Epson P-5000 is great, but I don't think I would upgrade my P-4500, unless mine is stolen or MIA (Missing in Action) :D

I've used a couple of the HDD based devices. I gotta say, due to battery life issues, potential drive failures, transfer isues, and having all your pics on one device...I highly recommend several memory cards. You can get the a lot of storage for a similar price.

The iPod camera connector and a FULL battery charge is good for about 10-15 minutes maximum before the iPod battery is depleted. Caution is warranted when using this solution.

I tested out the Camera Connector with my D40x and it does connect and transfer the images to the iPod. You then sync the iPod later with your computer and it transfers the images.

JerryPH does appear to be correct about the battery drain. My iPod had a full charge and transferring just a few images caused a drop in battery levels. I could image dumping hundreds of pictures could cause a significant drop.

If you have a car charger or something for the iPod that becomes less of a problem, since you can recharge it while you drive to the next location, but it is definitely something to consider.

Most reactions

Back