Photographer's Block

Kezra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Lately I have ran into an issue that I currently have no way of solving; I call it 'Photographer's Block'
It's just like writer's block!

I have been photographer for about 3 years now. and last year I quit my full-time job and went into business for myself. So far, I love it and I can't possibly see doing anything else.

However, the last month or so I've struggle. Not with getting business, but being creative with the business I get.

I seem to have hit a wall with my creativity. For example, I have a commercial gig with a pizza bar that requires a lot of fun creative ideas for promoting their business. The owner is creative himself but doesn't really know what he wants photo wise.

The trouble is, I can't think of anything! The only thing I was able to do that he seemed to like was this shot:
kiphZxH.jpg

He wants to me to capture the 'spirit of his pizza bar.

I wanted to know if anyone else has experience this 'wall' and what they did to fix it.

I'm not asking for ideas for this gig (though at this point I wouldn't mind it).

Thank you!

What is wrong with this for me is that the paddle is too far from the fixings and there isn't a great deal of rich saturation and the fixings look bland and colorless. Forget his setup, get better table, better fixings, better color

If he is up for it, a actual heart-shaped pizza on the paddle with some fixings in dishes around it, more saturated color might be interesting.

I agree with you on this particular photo. Luckily, I have other photos of that paddle with a lot more color and the fixes you talked about. But that's the problem, the ones I deem worthy he doesn't. At the end of the day he is my client and I'm being paid to do a style he wants.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. I can't seem to find any ideas that will satisfy him.

We all have been there. IMHO, photography is about telling a story and sharing the experience through your own vision. For this gig IMHO, you have to make the viewers feel like they are there and experience the care and love that's being put into each pizza, quality of the ingredients, and the atmosphere of the place. How are you going to do that? Well, that is up to you. Right now, it seems like you're thinking too much about the technical aspect.

Thanks Vtec, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

...I seem to have hit a wall with my creativity. For example, I have a commercial gig with a pizza bar that requires a lot of fun creative ideas for promoting their business....The only thing I was able to do that he seemed to like was this shot
Ummm... sorry, but I see nothing fun, or pizza-related in that shot. It looks like a close-up of the vegetable section of a Subway sandwich counter. What makes someone want to eat a particular food? Two things: Good looking food, and other people enjoying said food. So: Lots of shots of hot pizza, a pie with a few slices missing, plates with nothing but crumbs and a small piece of crust, smiling employees bringing said food to the table, happy customers gorging themselves... yes, a few close-ups of things, a shot or two of the restaurant, but really you don't want to get too creative - go for the tried and true, it brings in the customers. Watch a couple of McDonald's or Pizza Hut ads.

The trouble is, I can't think of anything! The only thing I was able to do that he seemed to like was this shot:

He wants to me to capture the 'spirit of his pizza bar.
I'm not a pro, I just want you and everyone to know that up front. So I've not experienced the pressure that you're feeling right now, so it might just easier for me to take a look at the "big picture".

I would try to capture the process of making a pizza. This shot that you show as an example is absolutely nothing like making a pizza. It is a peel covered in what looks like grated cheese, and placed on the salad bar. None of which makes any sense to me.

Take a few minutes to watch as a pizza is made, and follow the cook around as he does his thing. First you will notice that it is not made at the salad bar, but in the kitchen. And there is going to be an oven nearby. And the peel might have some cornmeal on it, but certainly not as much as your grated parmesan cheese is showing.

Anyway, I kind of doubt that this will create an idea in you, but if it does, then take the picture using your best photographic training for light, frame, focus, and balance.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I agree tirediron and Desingner,

That was only one shot used as an example to illustrate what the client liked. I personally don't like it and I have about 60 other photos that are a lot better. Here is a few other examples to show what I have done so far so you don't think I'm completely incompetent :biggrin-93:

XoOA5f6.jpg

KPWckrV.jpg

qp5IduJ.jpg

LnxtEFZ.jpg

mWDFOHR.jpg

FsDTh2f.jpg

DWZdwJA.jpg

qtlsWNl.jpg

BYizKfb.jpg

I don't think a lot of empty chairs are what people want to see in the background.
Anyway, the last shot made me hungry and off to eat something.

A lot of times for me these types of jobs are for shots that can be used as part of something in Illustrator.

How about flipping the dough in the air?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tirediron wrote.... "Two things: Good looking food, and other people enjoying said food."

YES!

Good Grief!

They really do make their pizzas on the salad bar!

I don't understand it, but it's not my restaurant, so whatever.

Can I get a Diet Coke with that?

The pizza shots are good, makes it look good to eat. To me though a pizza place needs pizza oven(s) and the big flat paddle that puts them in the oven. The little treys of ingredients look too much like a sandwich shop. But they are a salad place also.....perhaps from an angle to get both pizza and salad covered..

You would think their idea is silly, but in CA this is a HUGE trend and these guys make a lot of money.

These could benefit from some supplemental lighting, so you could get some decent depth of field,and show some of the food and ingredients in focus. These have the look of casual photos made at wide apertures in available light. In some of these, there is a LOT of out of focus product, like the shot of the pizza emanating from the bottom of a frame, and way out of focus, or the wood-fired-oven with the majority of two pies out of focus, or "the arm" hovering over what looks to be an utterly awful,weird salad/pizza with lettuce and figs; that shot has about a two inch wide strip that is in-focus and the entire balance of the frame is out of focus. Same problem with the BBQ sauce adorned pizza--the entire bottom HALF of the frame is out of focus.

This would be a great assignment to have a tilt/shift lens and the skill and knowledge of how to use one. Maybe you can rent the 24 TSE or 45 TSE an get some of the food in-focus, maybe procure some models, maybe show the fun of the place with people enjoying the food.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back