Photographic Holy Grail!

With a DSLR I never considered something like the Moon difficult. Shoot, if it's over exposed, decrease your exposure and shoot again. A always manage to get what I want after a few shots.

As far as specific advice, I've heard many people say use the sunny-16 rule with the Moon since it is lit by direct sunlight and as bright as a sunlit landscape (even though it's surrounded in dark.)

As far as capturing Moon detail and a deep blue sky, that may be tricky because the exposure that yields Moon detail may make the sky darker than you want and the exposure that makes the sky blue may well overexpose the bright Moon. Some subtle HDR might help if THAT is your goal.

Good luck.

I know this isn't the place for this question but how do you attach a photo ih the threads? It's asking me for the URL.

I used my telescope for this one... a little harder to do because the camera didnt have a lens, so i just kept taking pictures till one came out....
by the way Thorhammer, I am a little surprised how well that moon one you took turned out. I have a 35-210mm lens and at 210 i can barely get any good detail in the moon...

DSC02728.jpg

Holy Grail for me:

A clear, sharp photo of one or more sandpipers during a sunset at the beach, with the sandpipers at the edge of the water, reflecting off of the wet sand. Don't ask, I've been chasing this photo for months.

A purebread track race car going around a turn in full frame, just as a downshift causes an 8 foot flame to exit the tailpipes.
I have nowhere near the equipment for a shot like this........yet.

T. P. B. ?

Holy Grail.. Hmm. Well, pretty much every single wildlife photo I've ever tried :p I only have a 90 mm lens, so I don't exactly get a lot of detail with the wildlife yet. I should be coming into a 300mm soon, so hopefully that'll change.

thanks !!

you just need some levels and contrast...

the lens I used is the crappy 75-300 4.5-6,0 canon

i think this has already been mentioned via dan heller, but the suggested exposure for the moon is iso 100, 1/250, approx f/4

my holy grail is this stupid stupid tree. i saw it while taking the bus home for the weekend. while crossing an abandoned railroad track, i glanced and found a little three foot tree growing between the rails. a few weeks later, i staged the shot like i wanted it to be and in black and white like my creative vision told me to. turns out that the darkness of the tree was the same as the bushes around it, and the ground. this led to a picture of 90% practically smooth neutral gray. needless to say, that tree still haunts my dreams

Most reactions

Back