Photographic workshops

OK, stick me down for one then. I can claim some 27-28 years experience on and off, most of it on film, but recent years very much digitally based. In some ways, I'm slightly past being overly concerned with what people think about my own photography, but I don't mind adding an opinion or two to other peoples photographs.

I would like to join. I'm a beginner too. Do I have to have a DSLR to join or am I ok with my Canon Powershot S3 IS?

I've got a group created here. If you want to join, post there with your name (real name preferred but you can stick with your moniker if you'd like), how long you've been shooting, what you feel you are good with and what you feel you would like to improve on. I'm just taking the first 8 to join so if you're interested and there's room, go ahead and join us.

A question for the mods: Is there a way to minimize all that dead space on the group page? And are we should we be posting our threads, in the general gallery?

At Skedaddle: You can join with any camera you like. The end result is the same, so your P&S will be just fine.

Last edited:
I'd like to participate as well. I'm definitely a beginner, just got my DSLR a week ago!

well isnt the group you created for the first 8? i am confused

There is no rhyme or reason to the selection of those people other than first come, first serve. If it's ok with Overread, I'll just take the first 8 to join the group.

well this thread is more to get groups together and such - so if Sherman is "incharge" of that group then he can set the entrance rules.
As for photos I think it important to keep things forum side - clearly the group members must comment on the photo, but there is no reason that others cannot chime in with their own advice and viewpoint as well.

well this thread is more to get groups together and such - so if Sherman is "incharge" of that group then he can set the entrance rules.

I just figured it's better to give people the option to choose the group. I didn't know if any of the other first 8 wanted to take charge of this, or even if they want to work with me so I'm thinking it's just easier to take whoever wants to join.

As for photos I think it important to keep things forum side - clearly the group members must comment on the photo, but there is no reason that others cannot chime in with their own advice and viewpoint as well.
So should we just use the beginner's forum for this? And are we expected to keep the group's photos consolidated into one thread? If so, I am guessing the thread would be huge and hard to navigate. Any recommendations on how to proceed?

sometimes people have to be forced together otherwise they won't do anything - also I want to avoid groups just ending up as friends clubs - that can tend to end up with people not being as objective as normal and also with isolation of newer members.

As for threads I would say each person gets one thread for their group photo per week - they then post a note in the social group linking to this thread and the group members then follow the link and comment in the thread.
That leaves it open to the rest of the forum as well. Also as I said earlier people might end up with a dead week and not get any photos done - that being the case and that they don't have any older ones to offer up they should still make and effort to comment on the other members shots.

sometimes people have to be forced together otherwise they won't do anything - also I want to avoid groups just ending up as friends clubs - that can tend to end up with people not being as objective as normal and also with isolation of newer members.

Yeah I can see how that might occur. I'm guessing though that we're going to end up with a lot of members new to the forum so it may not be an issue until later on.

As for threads I would say each person gets one thread for their group photo per week - they then post a note in the social group linking to this thread and the group members then follow the link and comment in the thread.
That leaves it open to the rest of the forum as well. Also as I said earlier people might end up with a dead week and not get any photos done - that being the case and that they don't have any older ones to offer up they should still make and effort to comment on the other members shots.
Yeah, great idea. Hopefully this works out.

Most reactions

Back