Photographing Artwork

We reproduce paintings for many clients of ours, and we have done it both inside with studio lights and outside with natural light. Honestly, the natural light seems to yield the best colors.

I'd second the recommendation to shoot it outside with a sort of fabric on a panel to diffuse the light. Shoot it with a grey card and your photoshop work is simple. Colors come out pretty much perfect.

When shooting inside, we use two lights with softboxes, 45 degrees from the painting, about 5 feet away. Camera on a tripod, perpendicular to the painting. Yields results just about the same as the natural light - only with more work, setting up the lights and making sure they're exactly the same angle and distance. Outside is definitely quicker and easier, especially if you don't have the lighting equipment.

Always shoot with a greycard. With a greycard, it only takes a couple mouseclicks to get perfect color correction.

2. What is the best way to be able to take photos of extremely large paintings (40 x 40" or so), I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB - if I'm laying the painting on the ground, can I get back far enough with this?

The painting needs to be parallel to the film/sensor. How are you planing to do that if it is laying on the floor? Am I missing something here?

Straight on lighting definitely = massive suckage.

I have gotten excellent results using NO flash, even when the painting is encased in glass. 85mm F/1.4-F/2.0, custom white balance, ISO 400-800 (depending how dark it is) and Bob's your uncle.

Most reactions

Back