Photographing dogs.

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I am having a real difficult time taking a pic of my dog. She is petrified of the camera and the shot below was the best shot I got out of maybe 120 tries. Is there something I can do to make my life a little easier? Anyone have any experience taking pics with a shy dog? She is very obedient, but the camera makes her hate life lol. Any help and C&C would be appreciated.

5842597681_8896a251cf_z.jpg

D5100 18-55mm @55mm
F/5.6
1/400
ISO 1600

lol she is already very mellow, just very camera shy.

Try letting her hang out with you as you are taking pictures of other things, just let her see what is going on and give her treats as she gets close to your camera. Let her sniff it, that should with some time allow her to see that the thing you are holding isn't going to steal her soul! Good luck, the problem I have is my dog wants to sniff the lense when I try to take picture of him.

Try letting her hang out with you as you are taking pictures of other things, just let her see what is going on and give her treats as she gets close to your camera. Let her sniff it, that should with some time allow her to see that the thing you are holding isn't going to steal her soul! Good luck, the problem I have is my dog wants to sniff the lense when I try to take picture of him.

Yeah she definitely is very new to the camera. Maybe its just going to take time.

Dogs are pack animals and have a pack mentality.

The camera is not a normal part of the pack, and not be trusted. Plus it makes strange noises, and don't forget, your dog can hear about 10 times better then you can.

Used in your dog's presence regularly enough, the camera will get accepted.

reward your dog when there is no reaction, or no negative reaction to the camera. obviously, use a small but tasty reward like liver treats.

1. you and dog relaxing in backyard. treat.
2. you, dog and camera (there, but outta sight) in backyard. treat.
3. move camera slightly closer on ground. treat.
4. continue step 3 until camera is right next to her. treat.
5. click shutter while camera is on ground and "non threatening". treat.

you see where I am going with this. It will only take 30-45 min and it will get you far. and you can break it up into a couple of days.
my dog was afraid of STORM DRAINS on the street. it is mighty embarrassing/dangerous to be jogging on the road/crossing the street and have your dog hit the breaks right as cars are passing by...

remember baby steps. and good luck.

beautiful dog, btw. you definitely managed to capture some personality in that photo. she looks like a lover :hug::

Are you making her pose for the pictures?? I got my dog comfortable with the camera by just going out in the backyard and taking pictures of him from far away while he was just doing whatever he felt like doing. I slowly got closer (over a few days...not withing a few minutes) until I was right by him. Now, he loves my camera. If I have it out of the bag but I'm not taking his picture, he stands in front of me and whines. lol

reward your dog when there is no reaction, or no negative reaction to the camera. obviously, use a small but tasty reward like liver treats.

1. you and dog relaxing in backyard. treat.
2. you, dog and camera (there, but outta sight) in backyard. treat.
3. move camera slightly closer on ground. treat.
4. continue step 3 until camera is right next to her. treat.
5. click shutter while camera is on ground and "non threatening". treat.

you see where I am going with this. It will only take 30-45 min and it will get you far. and you can break it up into a couple of days.
my dog was afraid of STORM DRAINS on the street. it is mighty embarrassing/dangerous to be jogging on the road/crossing the street and have your dog hit the breaks right as cars are passing by...

remember baby steps. and good luck.

Ok thanks for the tips. Ill be sure to try this.

beautiful dog, btw. you definitely managed to capture some personality in that photo. she looks like a lover

Oh thank you. Yes she is all about love. All she wants to do is lay in her dog bed with my oldest son and snuggle all day.

Are you making her pose for the pictures?? I got my dog comfortable with the camera by just going out in the backyard and taking pictures of him from far away while he was just doing whatever he felt like doing. I slowly got closer (over a few days...not withing a few minutes) until I was right by him. Now, he loves my camera. If I have it out of the bag but I'm not taking his picture, he stands in front of me and whines. lol

I just try to get her to look at me during whatever she is doing and she refuses lol

I took photos of sheltered dogs at our nearest humane society. Very difficult when they don't have a name to go by and have never seen a camera probably in their entire life time. Does your dog have a favorite toy (preferably squeaky) where you could trick her to look at the camera, but not look scared? How about her favorite treats? You could shake the bag which will have her look at the camera in curiosity. Then *snap* take the photo and give her a treat. I have done all of this and it worked for the most part. Check out my photos. Link goes straight to my volunteer work. I wish you luck and hope this helps!

I'd say the best thing for you to do is Hold the camera out, when your dog puts his ears up at it or sniffs it, give him a treat. When you are able to touch the camera to his stomach or back then you should be good. This should work as long as he doesn't decide to attack your camera. This is how they train hunting dogs and scent dogs, and this is also how they sack out horses which are very spooky animals. Most of it is experience, though, he just has to get used to it. Good luck! I hope to see some awesome pictures in the future of your beautiful dog :)

reward.... take pics of other things...reward with a kibble.. hang out ...click the camera.. smile at her.. tell her she is beautiful and she will grow to love her pics... mine follow me around when i have the camera.. and actually pose now... beautiful dog....after awhile that serious look will turn to a big smily face. Also if you have a lens that you can take the pics further away helps... up close too soon is intimidating..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back