Photographing Photos- Help Please

Biz410

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So here's the deal-
I've run a summer camp for 10 years. I thought it would be cool to put some old pictures up on board this summer. I ended up with a 6' X 4' collage which I had laminated.
Now I would like to make regular poster sized prints to give to families. From what I've found, the best bet is to take a few photos and piece them together to make a picture that can be blown up and retain a sharp look.
Having just started, it seems my first hurdle is going to be finding a way to gets shots without a ridiculous amount of glare.
Would someone mind steering me in the right direction?

A flatbed scanner from Canon or EPSON would actually make a lot of sense...

And there's the problem. I found a Kinkos with a big enough scanner but they said the lamination would make it impossible (plus they wanted $10/sq foot).

I would try rigging up a very diffuse, relatively low light source, place the image on a wall, and then place the camera on a tripod arranged so that the axis of the lens is exactly 90 degrees to the image surface, and far enough away to caputre an area about 15-16" square.

Shoot the first image, say upper, LH corner, move the tripod whatever distance is required to shoot the next 16" segment (ensuring you stay square the image and at exactly the same distance - a tape line on the floor would help here), and continue along 'til you've covered the top-most strip. Lower the camera and work along covering the next strip and use any of several good Panorama-stitching applications (Google is your friend) to put it all back together.

Don't forget to set you lens to somewhere around f8 to ensure maxium sharpness.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Looking at your websites, I clearly stumbled into a good forum. I hope non-pros aren't frowned upon here.
If I could just bother you one last time-
Is a 12mp Nikon Coolpix L110 adequate for this job? And in layman's terms, does diffused light=a towel over a lampshade?
Thanks.

Towel over a lampshade = not very even light + fire hazard. Assuming you don't have umbrellas or other fancy lighting equipment, the best thing is window light on a cloudy day.

Not sure if it can help you, where they are, but when I have photographed pictures, I use tripod, fill the frame with the picture and expose long enough to not need a flash at all. I always control where I do it, though, so I control the light that hits it.

Most reactions

Back