Photographing Strangers

bschneider5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so it it really rude to photograph strangers without asking them? Seems kinda rude, but I also think that if I go and ask them then they will be aware of me taking their picture, and the moment will be lost.

Rude? Possibly. Has it produced great art? Absolutely. Also, in public places (the sidewalk, for example but not necessarily a mall), it is entirely legal (in the U.S.).

There was a lengthy thread about this not too long ago that had lots of good information in it.

Don't ask them. It's a free country - unless you are on private property or you have the intent to use your photos in advertising - you are fine. Of course, some people just feel uncomfortable on principle in taking photos of strangers, and feel shameful maybe, but its just a picture. At worst they will come and ask what you are doing. And you can tell them "Just taking pictures of this downtown/concert/restaurant scene." Once you get over that nervousness of taking pictures of people it'll get easier, and you wont be tongue tied if you are ever approached.

i do it all the time.. no one seems to care... do a search in the forum for "street photography" this is a topic that has been coming up a lot.. theres some pretty good conversations happening about it.. and of course, go to youtube and do a search for Bruce Gilden... great photographer.. lots of balls when it comes to street photography

I don't really have a problem with it. Afterall, we're filmed on CCTV all the time, so what harm is the odd snap. ;)

It doesn't matter, don't apologize, if it is in public area, you can do it.

OK, so it it really rude to photograph strangers without asking them? Seems kinda rude, but I also think that if I go and ask them then they will be aware of me taking their picture, and the moment will be lost.

i understand how you feel, i get kind of uncomfortable sometimes when i'm out shooting strangers. i try to conceal it by pretending to be shooting something off in their "general" direction. but i guess a silly solution to your problem would include this lens. :lol:

i do it all the time.. no one seems to care... do a search in the forum for "street photography" this is a topic that has been coming up a lot.. theres some pretty good conversations happening about it.. and of course, go to youtube and do a search for Bruce Gilden... great photographer.. lots of balls when it comes to street photography

Wow, SERIOUS balls.

I would love to get into street photography, but do not have the guts. I would buy a nice long lens, stand way far back, and hope no one notices lol.

i understand how you feel, i get kind of uncomfortable sometimes when i'm out shooting strangers. i try to conceal it by pretending to be shooting something off in their "general" direction. but i guess a silly solution to your problem would include this lens. :lol:

Nothing short of a trench coat and cut off pant legs tied above the knee scream pervert more than that thing. :lmao:

Nothing short of a trench coat and cut off pant legs tied above the knee scream pervert more than that thing. :lmao:

WHOA! great idea, i wonder why i haven't thought of that. thanks for tip, i'll have to try it someday and let you know how it goes over hahaha :p

Street photography takes a little getting used to, but the more you do it the more aggressive and adept you'll become. I photograph strangers on the street all the time and routinely ask permission. Many say "no" but many others cooperate, provided it's not for advertising or exploitation. Check out my YouTube show -- all strangers on the street in LA.

the more you do street photography, the more it just becomes a natural thing... i think when Dick says more aggressive, he doesnt mean in a "knock you down" sort of way, but more of a "i want this picture" sort of way... street photography is a lot of fun, especially when you get away from the fear behind it

also just in looking at dicks site, his style of street photography is much different than the style i'm talking about... his are portraits, where he clearly has asked the people to stop so he could take the photo... they are great photos by the way... the style i have been talking about is more of the Bruce Gilden style.. unsuspecting, spur of the moment shots.. candids, where the people were just doing their thing

Well said, Chris. That is what I meant. But it'll be even easier, I think, if you're going for the candid moments, staying on the move, being inobtrusive. Small camera probably helps. Check out Roy DeCarava. Main thing -- get out often and do a lot of it.

Thanks for the compliment, Chris.

Last edited:
Street photography is much better when it is done candid. If you ask up front, then yes, the moment will be lost since the subject will then know and might pose. If you feel uncomfortable, shoot first and ask later. Tell them you took a pic of them (doing whenever they were doing) and ask them if they want you to erase it.

If they say "yes", do it. Then get out your recovery software later. hehe. Kidding. Respect their wishes and keep a clean conscience.

Wow, SERIOUS balls.

I would love to get into street photography, but do not have the guts. I would buy a nice long lens, stand way far back, and hope no one notices lol.

Robert Capa once said "If you're pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough" That being said, I just shoot and when someone walks up I walk away pretending to fiddle with my camera. Shoot first ask later.

Most reactions

Back