Photography as a career

roachford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was hoping someone out there could point me in the right direction.

I am currently 28 and working in an office based environment. I have been giving great thought to making atransition into photography as a career, I have my eye trained on local newspapers.

However, I possess no formal qualification. I was hoping anyone may be able to give me advice, is my age a disadvantage?, would I need to study first?, am I being unrealistic?????

Any help would be warmly received.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck...but go to the library. I'm in the exact same situation as you (30 yrs old) and I recently got a library card (something I haven't had in 15 yrs). I'm currently reading my 3rd book on the subject with many more to go. I had forgotten what a great resource it is.

so far the books have said you won't have much luck with big newspapers because they all have staff photogs that are cheaper than freelancers...so offer your services to small town newspapers.

Its actually something I had'nt thought about. But thanks for sharing the idea. Its a good point to start from.

I have it in mind to aim at the smaller regional newspapers rather than the national/international companies. I think I got a pretty good eye, but I guess there are thounsands of other folks who say the same!!

Thanks again!

I'm a little confused at what you're looking to do with the newspaper. You can submit a story ideas (send a query letter not an idea first) if you're looking to generate ideas....or are you looking to cover news events?

A couple of things you can do is give the smaller newspapers your name and cell phone number (you need to be readily available for breaking news) or if there's an interesting event....call the paper and tell them you will be attending and ask if they are interested in coverage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back