Photography backdrop

bexyg654

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to buy a backdrop but don't know where to start. I don't have a huge budget , but i need something that I can have an adult in front of to do a full length pregnancy shoot.
Has anyone got anything they can recommend? ? Preferably a black& white set .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm in the UK. Sorry forgot to mention

It depends what you buy, but generally larger is better. If you're going with muslin, then I would get a 10x20; if you're going with seamless paper, then the 107" roll.

Hi I'm looking to buy a backdrop but don't know where to start. I don't have a huge budget , but i need something that I can have an adult in front of to do a full length pregnancy shoot.
Has anyone got anything they can recommend? ? Preferably a black& white set .

If all you want is a plain, single color fabric or panel, go to the theatrical supply houses. Photographic supply houses have a wide selection of backdrops and stands for them. Small theaters often save backdrops for use again and they possibly might want to rent out their stock. You can rent backdrops from most supply houses if your budget is very tight.

Size depends on your space and your lens.

Even with a 24-70 your subject needs to be 6 to 10 feet from the background, so a 8 to 10 foot wide backdrop is about the minimum size you will need.

I have a 24-70mm so don't need anything to big.
Generally speaking you want to be shooting a lot closer to the 70 end than the 24, so, as Keith notes, 8' is really going to be about as narrow as you want to go. I do most of my work with an 85 and even with a 10' muslin, I'm hard-pressed to get three people framed.

Most reactions

Back