Photography Books & Magazines.

Joshie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshiesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been reading couple of books about photography, to learn better and how things work in photography along improving myself with camera and stuff. If you read photography books, which one are your favorite?

I haven't read any magazines about photography yet as I have been reading books lately but I am looking into them to see which magazines are more interesting to subscribe. Do you have any subscription in photography magazines book? If so which one are your favorite? So trying to figure out which I should subscribe and as well to purchase another book to read about photography.

Thanks!

I subscribe to Professional Photographer, which comes with my membership to Professional Photographers of America. It's a fairly flimsy magazine but occasionally offers some good gear reviews and business tips. I used to get Outdoor Photographer, which is one of my favs, but dropped it a few years ago. I now mostly keep track of new information on the Net. I use forums only to help others and learn what beginners are struggling with so I can develop education plans. I'd recommend Ansel Adams' books, even if you don't do landscape. I've read enough photo books to know that I'm better off watching videos or going into the field. Books don't do much for me.

If you want to learn about how to actually "do" photography, John Hedgecoe's many books are very easy to understand, and have hundreds of diagrams and photos that illustrate all types of concepts. These are not new,modern, "recipe books", but books designed to teach you to actually understand things, not how to follow a recipe like an automaton.

I subscribe to LensWork. I have only gotten one copy so far, though. There is something special with looking at a great photograph on good paper.

I highly recommend LW for a magazine on the photographic process. If you want minimum information about equipment used, just look at great shots, LW us for you. Last issue had an article on how to deal with "the block" that everyone experiences.

I am looking forward to the next issue, which is due any time now!

I look up at some them that you all listed, they are indeed quite interesting. Planning on to buy John Hedgecoe's book to read, thanks for the recommendation and possibly I will be subscribing to LW.

Thanks! Keep them coming.

I can recommend Brian Peterson's "Learning to See Creatively". I did not enjoy the way he wrote, but it taught me to consider many different versions of the same shot, for example by changing perspective or angle or both.

This book can inexpensively be picked up used.

I really enjoy Joe McNally's books on lighting. Dean Collins is another lighting favorite, older but the concepts hold true.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back