Photography clubs and you

Solthar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been getting more and more into photography lately, and have been looking for ways to improve. Obviously, one of the best ways to improve is to take pictures and experiment - and I do that, but I'd like more.

Another way to improve is to take classes, and I tend to excel in structured learning environments. Sadly, the only local classes I can find are for black and white film photography at UFV, and while I do admit to a slight interest in film, and more than a passing interest in B&W, I really don't feel like starting from square one with a new camera and processing equipment just for the sake of a couple classes. Mind you, if anyone knows of some good classes within the area of the UFV, I'd be more than grateful :sexywink:..

The last and final option is peer review, which comes in the form of photography clubs. I've heard many mixed opinions about these, ranging from being compiled of a bunch of elitist jerks, to being the best thing that ever happened to a person. So I'd like to ask to see if anyone has had personal experiences with these?

The reason I'm asking, is that our local group, The Abbotsford Photo Arts Club, seems to be pretty decent, with everything from 'Photo Field Trips' to photo competitions.

So, anyone have any advice on photo clubs, or any other method a person can use to better their photography?

PDX Strobist here in Portland was one of the best things I could have done for how I approach portrait photography. Anyone on here who's in the Portland area, seriously buy a flash and join up, it's an AWESOME group.

Flickr: PDX Strobist (Portland, Oregon)

Go for it!

I think what you have to realise is that photoclub judges are just people, like everyone else. They generally get the position because they are good photographers with years of experience so their word and advice should be taken into account, but don't get lead into the thought that only their word is worth it.

Regardless being with other photographers is going to help you develop and learn - you will meet new people, discover new ideas, get some advice from those that have done it all before and also (hopefully) make some friends

Most reactions

New Topics

Back