Photography equipment to use?

ALEXCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a photography student and I shoot anything from weddings to outdoor portraits. I have a few questions about what equipment I should start to invest in. I currently have a Nikon D80, and an off camera flash.

Should I invest in a set of strobes, umbrellas, and light stands? Flashbracket? Or off camera flashes with slaves?

Any advice would be appreciated, I get confused when it comes to slaves, cords, flashes etc. So please be detailed. Thank you!!

smile.gif

What lenses do you have and what is your current model of flash? Further what are you wanting to do - everything is a bit catch- all and a bit hard to pin down to a setup. Some idea of what limitations your setup has and what you want to do with it would help a lot. An idea of budget also helps; flash can go from dirt cheap all the way to thousands.

Personally I would start with a better camera and few fast lenses.

Should I invest in a set of strobes, umbrellas, and light stands? Flashbracket? Or off camera flashes with slaves?
smile.gif

In my opinion, if your goal is trying to improve your photography with better lighting, I think the answer is yes. Of course, it really depends on the type of photography you are going after.

Personally I would start with a better camera and few fast lenses.

That depends, many areas like studio photography the greater part is in the lighting rather than in the camera or lens. That isn't to say that camera and lens are unimportant, but simply that there is a far greater gain in quality, diversity and adaptability to be found by investing in a solid lighting setup and then considering the camera and lens.

I agree with Overread. I'd seen some studio photos taken with low end older generation DSLR and kits lens (studio photos taken with f/5.6 or f/8) and the result were amazing. But then again, it really depends on the type of photography. Photography equipments are just tools. We just use the proper tools to get the job done.

The D80 is more than capable.

Some people seem to think, and continually suggest having the latest and greatest is essential.
But it isn't, else no one would have been able to make quality photos before the latest and greatest was available.

Photographer knowledge, skill and familiarity with how to work within the limits of their gear allows making high quality photos regardless.

The D80 is more than capable.

Some people seem to think, and continually suggest having the latest and greatest is essential.
But it isn't, else no one would have been able to make quality photos before the latest and greatest was available.

Photographer knowledge, skill and familiarity with how to work within the limits of their gear allows making high quality photos regardless.
I am a big, big, big proponent of skills improvement, I always say a good skilled photographer can create magic with basic equipment while unskilled photographer will not be able to create good pictures even with the best equipment available.
Never the less I see no problem with recommending better equipment.
I think new and modern equipment is less restricting and you can focus more on the creation process rather then think how to minimize the effects of the effects of the limiting factors of your old equipment.
And as a bit of a technophile I will always gravitate toward newer is better LOL

If you're looking to get in to lighting, I think the place to start is to grab a cheap light stand, umbrella, and trigger for the flash you already have. Start shooting portraits with a simple one light setup and add to it as you feel like you're hitting the limits of your equipment.

Another option would be to check out reflectors.

Most reactions

Back