What's new

Photography for a Large Mural

Billhyco

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
254
Reaction score
3
Location
Burlington, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been given the oppurtunity to shoot a mural for a business downtown. The subject I'm not so concerned with. My worry is image size vs quality. The mural will be 8ft tall and 16ft wide, but cut into quadrants. I am only shooting with a D90 so pixelation concerns me. I have studied a few murals up close and as with most art work it should never be viewed from less then 10ft. They are far from crisp clear images up close but from a distance they look beautiful. A mural of this size, am I even going to be able to produce quality work with my given equipment? Any recommendations on print companies/paper? Completely new territory for me so I am doing some homework first. Any help at all would be appreicated. Thanks in advance!
 
If you know it's going to be cut into quads then shoot it in quads...... make 4 or 16 photos to make up the mural. The put the images together to keep detail.


Some of the resampling/resizing software out there does a pretty good job, Genuine Fractals is one that comes to mind (it's been renamed Perfect Resize) Genuine Fractals is now Perfect Resize 7 - onOne Software

I remember years ago that a picture of a T-Rex was taken and hung up in times square that was about 30 feet long, it was taken with a 3MP Nikon P&S and looked great. So with all the info and software available now a days the size you are looking to do seems pretty easy.
 
Last edited:
Will the image be applied, hung, ? to a wall?

If so, how? Inside? Outside?
 
it will be indoors, spray glue perhaps? but yes hung on a wall
 
First you are going to have to know what type of printers they will be working with. I have done many jobs with printing large formatt printers and believe many businesses will use CMYK color profile with only 75% resolution needed but the file would ned to be at full scale. I would design my graphics in photoshop and illustrator with the size it was going to be printed but since it was only 75% resolution it was easy on the processors to render the graphics.

The reason I ask this is because in some cases as you mentioned murals will look best from a distance and you will not see any pixelation in the printing. You may need to rent another camera to get a bigger image to work with or not just depends. In some cases some type of panning device would be of great use so your camera is in the exact same level and distance and you would take pictures in 3rds or 4ths what ever you need to get the job done.

So I would ask them what they need from you first, once you know what they need from you, it will make your life easier and perhaps we can help because until then really no help will be suffice.

Cheers!!
 
I have been given the oppurtunity to shoot a mural for a business downtown. The subject I'm not so concerned with. My worry is image size vs quality. The mural will be 8ft tall and 16ft wide, but cut into quadrants. I am only shooting with a D90 so pixelation concerns me. I have studied a few murals up close and as with most art work it should never be viewed from less then 10ft. They are far from crisp clear images up close but from a distance they look beautiful. A mural of this size, am I even going to be able to produce quality work with my given equipment? Any recommendations on print companies/paper? Completely new territory for me so I am doing some homework first. Any help at all would be appreicated. Thanks in advance!


Just nit picking and I know it's off subject, but OP I checked out your website and couldn't read a dang thing! I'm 20 years old and I found the font and the size of it impossible to read. Don't make your readers/viewers/potential clients struggle to get information. I would suggest changing the cursive font to something more traditional.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom