Photography for beginners?

himeshlem79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I have started to get into photography due to travelling. I am slowly figuring out editing and am about to buy a decent camera. I have been using my iPhone (645 II app) and gopro. Is there a website or a subreddit that explains what ISO and the other photography terms mean in a simple to understand way and when to use/change these settings?

Appreciate any help192.168.0.1

Last edited:
There are many websites that explain the technical terms of photography and other things like composition, lighting, etc..
Very popular is "a year with my camera".

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find a lot of good sites out there, but the one I use most is CambridgeinColour.com

There are a ton of beginner courses out there, and many of them are free. Go to youtube and search photography for beginners and you will find a lot of them. Some are great and some are just OK. Chris Bray has a nice 10 part series on youtube that is good, but there are really too many to list. If you want to spend a little money John Greengo has a great course on Creative Live. Fundamentals of Photography with John Greengo | CreativeLive. If you haven't purchased your first camera yet, he also has a free class on how to choose you first camera.
How to Choose Your First DSLR Camera with John Greengo | CreativeLive

Try Youtube. Many, many tutorials on there on most subjects.

So I have started to get into photography due to travelling. I am slowly figuring out editing and am about to buy a decent camera. I have been using my iPhone (645 II app) and gopro. Is there a website or a subreddit that explains what ISO and the other photography terms mean in a simple to understand way and when to use/change these settings?

Appreciate any help
Hi, and welcome!

The terms you need to know are; aperture, which is the opening that lets the light in. Expressed as a fraction of the maximum that the lens is capable of. for instance; f/5.6 means focal length divided by 5.6. Kind of hard to understand on the face of it, but just getting into it will help a lot.

Shutter speed; (time the shutter is open) which is usually expressed in seconds, or a fraction of a second. So a shutter speed of 500 is actually 1/500 of a second. Also kind of hard to understand without some experience with it.

ISO; this is a "construct" invented by digital camera makers when they wanted to convince film camera users that there was some kind of relationship between the digital sensor sensitivity and film sensitivity. The film users were accustomed to making some exposure compensations when they changed film, and wanted to know how much exposure compensation to allow in order to get a good exposure with digital.

This created more confusion than it helped because newbie digital users suddenly had one more setting to fiddle with, in spite of it not having anything to do with actual exposure. The ISO setting does, however, affect the display on the back of the camera, therefore many photographers will adjust the ISO setting to give them a good-looking thumbnail image to look at while they are evaluating the composition, etc.

Get yourself hooked up with Cambridge in Colour, and go through the tutorials.

Digital Photography Tutorials

Have fun!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back