Photography in the Middle East

Renair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.renebruunphotographer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys, sometime late October next year I am thinking of taking a vacation to either Dubai in the United Arab Emirates or possibly Bahrain. Does anyone know for sure the rules of photography in these countries? I know in some cases you are not allowed to photograph women. I am mainly going to photograph the amazing buildings and mosques, the camel treks and nomads and just something different! I know Saudi Arabia has become more open to Photographers, but it is still dangerous for Westerners but I know Dubai is completely open to the west. As for Bahrain????

I have been to Bahrain twice, and I am pretty sure there are no camera restrictions there. I went when I was in the Navy, and they would always breif us on things like that so we wouldn't get into any trouble with the locals.

At all costs avoid taking pictures of anything that might look like military or government installations!
I think that people in general will not appreciate being photographed irrespective of gender, and if you are taking pictures of mosques and such, try not to do so while people are praying, this may cause offense. Taking external photographs of mosques and other buildings or general scenery shots is not a problem.

J

I've lived in Egypt for a while and the rules there are exactly the same as in Bahrain and Dubai. I wouldn't worry about taking pictures.. they're used to it. But like Jzero said, avoid taking pictures of military/government installations because that isn't allowed. Other than that you don't really have to worry.. in cities like Dubai and Bahrain most people are rich and are used to the western way of life. Goodluck with your vacation :)

Thanks for the advice. I would never ever dream of taking pix of people praying.... I was more referring to the thought of the mosque buildings at sunrise or sunset.... Government or Military I would have avoided too....

Shame they dont make the secret lenses like they used to back in the 80's. I remember seeing a documentry about photographers in Northern Ireland. They had a special lense which was like a dummy lens. You would shoot something in front of you, or so it would appear, but the left side of the lens was cut out so even though it looks like your shooting whats in front of you, your actually photographing whats to the left of you!

Despite language barriers (sp), you can always communicate with a local by showing them a picture you've taken of someone and show them. This may lead them to allow more pictures.

Most reactions

Back