Photography Member.....

It's been a long time since I've been a member of the PPA. I was a member for 10 years or so. I was more ambitious in those days. They offer a "degree program." Merits are awarded for achievement in the print competion and making presentations in affiliate venues. One can be awarded a degree of Master Photographer or Craftsman depending on how the merits are earned. This is tough, and can get to be expensive... there are entry fees in addition to the membership dues.

I was around in the days when the Certification program was birthed. I think this is what did it for me. The PPA promised a HUGE consumer ad campaign, educatiing the public about Ceritifed Professional Photographers (CPPs). It was suppose to seperate the "weekend warriors" from the pros. I think I saw one print ad in a bridal mag, and some photographers in my area were certifying rather easily. I realize they were trying to get the program off the ground, but felt they were too lenient.

Honestly, I don't know what they're doing these days. I do feel I did benifit from taking part. I believe the biggest benifit was being around other creative folk at convention.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back