Photography Newbie - Pls C&C

Hyunkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I am totally new with taking shots using manual mode as this is my first "EVIL" camera. Just finished reading "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson and decided to give it a try. I took a lot of shots but these two are the clearest that I got and I was just experimenting with the aperture and shutter settings. Using a Olympus E-PL1

1. ISO 100, 1.6 f3.8 16mm
p8120345800x600.jpg

2. ISO 200, 6 f3.5 14mm

Number one the dog looks sleeping and happy.
Number two the dog looks creepy dead.

lols,I was expecting comments on how to improve the shot or what I did wrong. Anyway I am not sure if it is a widely used acronym but EVIL means Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens. I am using a micro-four thirds camera by Olympus.

lols,I was expecting comments on how to improve the shot or what I did wrong. Anyway I am not sure if it is a widely used acronym but EVIL means Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens. I am using a micro-four thirds camera by Olympus.
Oh yes, we love that acronym. :lol: Those things are evil.

Well, #2 is pretty under-exposed... it could probably use an additional stop of exposure.

In contrast, #1 is exposed pretty well. It looks like detail has been maintained in the bright patches of light striking the dog's face. Personally, the composition doesn't work for me. It's just that the dog is the subject of the photograph, but half the frame is filled by the floor.

Just out of curiosity, what type of dog is it?

Well, #2 is pretty under-exposed... it could probably use an additional stop of exposure.

In contrast, #1 is exposed pretty well. It looks like detail has been maintained in the bright patches of light striking the dog's face. Personally, the composition doesn't work for me. It's just that the dog is the subject of the photograph, but half the frame is filled by the floor.

Just out of curiosity, what type of dog is it?

Thanks for the reply.

For number 1, I guess tweaking brightness settings will help?
For number 2, if I crop it, I think it would look weird. Oh well time to annoy the sleeping dog again and take more shots.

As for the breed of the dog, it is a Japanese Spitz sorta like a big size white Pomeranian but yea the teeth got messed up when it was a pup so it looks "evil" but totally not lol in real life.

lol, its cool..im reading "Learning to See Creatively" by Peterson at the moment, and I will be practicing more and posting here for comments later on :D

Such an adorable dog. Reminds me of my late american eskimo "nala" Love the pics. Second one I like better but the exposure is a little off. I still like it though.

hello all,

here are three more shots while I was playing around with my camera. Any comments or suggestions to help me improve would be greatly appreciated. All shots are indoor.

1. ISO 800, f/5 @ 1/4s 27mm on MF because my camera won't auto-focus on the lit cigarette and when I do get it to focus my shadow would be in the frame. ISO 800 because shot was taken at night near my window and I didn't want to use a tripod.
p8140475800x600.jpg

2.ISO 200, f 5.6 @ 1/10s 42mm AF, I edited this a bit just playing with ACDSEE settings.
p8130373resize.jpg

3. ISO 200, fl 5.6 @ 1/6s 42mm AF
p8130383resize.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back