Photography School?

Tbh,i suppose it's individual learning Curves.i learn better from one to one tutition,but i can also work well on my own,its just abit harder :)

Suppose it's all Op's issue,weither one to one works or if he'll like the taught over the net type tution. im sure he'll pick whats best for him :)

By all means formal education is good and will teach you loads but at the end of the day, if you're considering a $60 000 dollar investment, you will probably never get that back again. A less expensive and just as good an alternative is to offer yourself as assistant to a local professional, and learn "the old fashioned way", if for no other reason then at least because its cheaper. At the end of the day, your portfolio is what will sell, not your diplomas on the wall.

well. after lookin and talking to a few area photography schools it seems the prices are way to high. ex. 60,000 plus supplies for a 10month program. or 60,000 for a 2 year. most didnt take Fed Loans. anyway. so i thought what if with my next stipend from my current school say at the most 6 grand i would just buy everything i need and just teach my self with trial and error and online tutorials. might take longer and be lots of trial and error but i think i can do some good stuff with the right equipment....but its cheaper. so if i had 6 grand what would people recommend. keep in my mind my current equipment of...i will need a better tripod...and remote release...have fun! thanks for all the help. im looking to do portraits, black and whites, landscapes, and weddings.

Nikon D3100, Nikon D60, Nikon 15-55mm VR, Nikon Micro-Nikkor Macro lens-85 mm-f/3.5 VR, Nikon 55-200mm VR. SB-600, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.2, Color Efex Pro 3.1, HDR Efex Pro, Imagenomic Portraiture, Dfine 2.0, Sharpener Pro 3.0, Silver Efex Pro, Viveza, Topaz Adjust. v4.0.3, Topaz Clean. v3.0.1, Topaz Clean v3.0.1, Topaz Detail v2.0.4, Photomatix Pro 4.0, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Dynamic Photo HDR, HDR Expose..

Last edited:
I'd recommend saving your money until you know what you're doing with your current equipment.

My suggestion is find a career that can be more diverse, such as graphic artist. Graphic Artist degrees in many 4 year schools require extensive course work in photography both digital and film along with photoshop, lightroom etc. This would give you an increased chance of landing a better paying job the more diverse you are. You can minor in Photography.

I'd recommend saving your money until you know what you're doing with your current equipment.

well id say my lack of lighting is preventing me from doing that. lack of a solid tripod as well. so i need things anyway. i have taken some spectacular pictures in the last month. gaining over 20 clients including a booking for a photoshoot with 2 national recording artists when they come to town. and i am shooting their live shows. so on top of what i have i want to make sure that i have enough to pull of those jobs. i have no other lighting besides what i listed. on top of that I am very close to the owner of a production company that i just did a shoot for for a rap music video and they are looking for me to be more involved in other projects. so i wanna be up to date and ready for other situations

No, I think at 27 your life is pretty much over. Why start school now? You might as well live your last days just shooting and enjoying photography...

My suggestion is find a career that can be more diverse, such as graphic artist. Graphic Artist degrees in many 4 year schools require extensive course work in photography both digital and film along with photoshop, lightroom etc. This would give you an increased chance of landing a better paying job the more diverse you are. You can minor in Photography.

i dont plan on doing photography full time. i am a teacher. i am currently going for my masters. photography will be a side project. i guess i should of asked if you had 6,000 dollars what would you by given my equipment.:lol:

No, I think at 27 your life is pretty much over. Why start school now? You might as well live your last days just shooting and enjoying photography...

haha thats what i was thinking!!

i dont plan on doing photography full time. i am a teacher. i am currently going for my masters. photography will be a side project. i guess i should of asked if you had 6,000 dollars what would you by given my equipment.:lol:

Put it in the bank, and sit on it. For real. You've got a wide enough variety of equipment, from long focal lengths to low f/ stops. You've got a flash that you can play around with light with, you've got everything you need to learn the basics of your camera and to max out it's capabilities. If there was ONE thing that could benefit you and your learning process, is wireless triggers for your flash. It opens a whole different world of creative possibilities.

Put it in the bank, and sit on it. For real. You've got a wide enough variety of equipment, from long focal lengths to low f/ stops. You've got a flash that you can play around with light with, you've got everything you need to learn the basics of your camera and to max out it's capabilities. If there was ONE thing that could benefit you and your learning process, is wireless triggers for your flash. It opens a whole different world of creative possibilities.
def agree with that. i need off camera flash. do you recommend something for my camera? any umbrellas? i would like enough lighting to do some good portraits.

haha thats what i was thinking!!

haha yeah. I mean, sorry to say... you only have what, a few DECADES left? That's not enough time to learn photography and be successful at it.

def agree with that. i need off camera flash. do you recommend something for my camera? any umbrellas? i would like enough lighting to do some good portraits.

Get a pair of 40 dollar Cactus Triggers. Really straightforward and easy to use. You'll need to have your flash on manual, but it's really the most controlled way to do it and get even and consistent results. However, I've never had any experience with TTL Off camera, so I can't vouch for it.

It would benefit you to learn how to use manual flash off camera for the future.

Get a pair of 40 dollar Cactus Triggers. Really straightforward and easy to use. You'll need to have your flash on manual, but it's really the most controlled way to do it and get even and consistent results. However, I've never had any experience with TTL Off camera, so I can't vouch for it.

It would benefit you to learn how to use manual flash off camera for the future.

question. why would i need a pair of triggers while i only have 1 flash?

are you referring to this? Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s

Most reactions

New Topics

Back