Photography test

So I just took it. I'm not impressed -- too many false assumptions and "right" answers that are wrong answers.

JOe

So I just took it. I'm not impressed -- too many false assumptions and "right" answers that are wrong answers.

JOe

Would you share which you thought had wrong answers?

JOe

Would you share which you thought had wrong answers?

There was a question about use of ICC profiles in the Advanced test; what they wanted as the correct answer was at best a weak partial answer. There was a question about major difference between SLR versus non-SLR cameras -- they thought the answer was interchangeable lenses. Oops! I spent the last 30 years as a photographer and way over half the cameras I used took interchangeable lenses and they weren't SLRs -- in fact there's 5 cameras on my desk right now and 4 take interchangeable lenses and only one is an SLR. There was a question about inkjet printer dpi for prints up to 11x14, I'm not sure they knew what they were asking. There was more, but it's not worth going back to mess with.

Joe

Any one else taken this test? The Online Photography Test - Canon Blogger.com What do you think? Does it give an accurate idea of where you stand in your photographic knowledge?
Multiple choice tests are the easiest type of test to take.

I had issues with the answer about fill light, though it was to figure out the answer they expected. Fill light is usually on or very near the lens axis. If it is well off the lens axis, it's no longer fill light, and has become a second (or third, or 4th) light.

I laughed at a Photoshop question on a "photography" test. The two are not related.

Yeah, darkrooms didn't really have anything to do with photography, either. Heck, after a real photographer pushes the shutter release, he doesn't even need to have the film developed. He would already know how the photo would turn out.

I laughed at Question 18's newbie knowledge and (LACK OF) understanding about bokeh! Whoever wrote that 'test' is a relative newbie to the world of photography.

I laughed at a Photoshop question on a "photography" test. The two are not related.

Yeah, darkrooms didn't really have anything to do with photography, either. Heck, after a real photographer pushes the shutter release, he doesn't even need to have the film developed. He would already know how the photo would turn out.

Darkrooms were required to process film.

Photoshop is not required to process digital photographs. I've taken well over 15,000 images and haven't used photoshop on any of them.

Photoshop is not required to process digital photographs. I've taken well over 15,000 images and haven't used photoshop on any of them.

Editing is not required when you shoot jpeg. Editing IS required when you shoot RAW. So, what kind of "digital" are you referring to?

Editing is not required when you shoot jpeg. Editing IS required when you shoot RAW. So, what kind of "digital" are you referring to?

Are you implying that Photoshop is the ONLY WAY to edit a RAW file?

Based on his portfolios, he does edit his images. He just uses programs like Aperture.

To adversus, like it or not, Photoshop is kind of the industry standard. So much so, that it's become almost a common term for any editing, regardless of which actual software you are using. At this point, you just seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing.

I didn't look at the quiz, so perhaps it asks what the shortcut is to pull up the clone brush tool in Photoshop. That would, indeed, seem to be an inapropriate question for a general photography quiz.

I didn't look at the quiz, so perhaps it asks what the shortcut is to pull up the clone brush tool in Photoshop. That would, indeed, seem to be an inapropriate question for a general photography quiz.

That was my point, entirely.

The photoshop question is "what does ctrl J do" or something like that...

lot of those questions are just silly, but I did em anyways :p

Most reactions

Back