Photography workshop advice

Annrive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone recently as of yesterday I've been asked to teach a 2hour workshop on photography
For a teacher who had to bail

the audience = adults and they were all asked to bring a camera I'm guessing digital

I was just wondering what topics would be good to cover in this time period for beginners

ive never had this little time to prepare anything would be helpful from what I hear their a really enthusiastic group

If they are going to an workshop with unknown content, they probably don't know anything

Teach them

• limitations of different kinds of cameras
  • sensor size
  • the exposure triangle
  • effect of f stop on depth of field
  • start on composition

In addition: Exposure modes (P, M, A/Av, S/Tv), Metering modes, basics of lenses (diff. between zoom & prime, variable & fixed aperture, why some lenses cost 5x more than others)...

Is this an adult ed. course that meets on a regular basis? at the same college where you were taking food service photos? I wondered because you said they're supposedly an enthusiastic group so I'd guess maybe they've been in class together already.

You could look up the course listing/description to get an idea what this workshop/course is about. If the class is ongoing you might want to ask the students what's already been covered or what they did last week so you get some idea what they already know (unless the instructor left lesson plans but for an adult ed. class I don't know that those would be available).

My career has been in education but it's been some time since I've done classroom teaching or covered someone else's class; but I'd have some things in mind to discuss, or to have them do as a project if they'll be bringing cameras ready to use. Is there someplace you could walk around taking pictures? Or maybe think about what you could set up as a still life for them to photograph. I'd have a purpose in mind. You've gotten some good suggestions on here about what to cover if it's a one time workshop.

When you're being asked to do something at the college I think it would be appropriate to ask questions and find out some guidelines as to what to do and what their expectations are for the job they're asking you to do.

Hi everyone recently as of yesterday I've been asked to teach a 2hour workshop on photography

the audience = adults and they were all asked to bring a camera I'm guessing digital

I was just wondering what topics would be good to cover in this time period for beginners

ive never had this little time to prepare anything would be helpful from what I hear their a really enthusiastic group

Is there any chance you can get the lesson plan from the teacher who had to bail, or do you have to develop your own?

Has there been any instruction yet, or will you be taking this class from the first lesson?

Hard to know...
Are they all going to have DSLR cameras, or at the very least, cameras that have a manual mode (control over the aperture, shutter speed and ISO)?
Or are (most) of them going to show up with point & shoot cameras that only have variations of auto modes?

If it's the former, then I'd suggest a quick explanation of aperture, shutter speed and ISO...what they do and how they affect photos.
If it's the later, I'd keep it more simple and maybe explain the concept/results of those things....so DOF, blur and noise. Maybe talk a bit about composition and ways they can use their creativity to have fun taking photos.

I teach a DSLR course, and it's 12 hours long (could use more time too). So 2 hours would be really tough.
I sometimes teach a more basic course (doesn't require a DSLR) and the hardest part of that course (for me) is trying to keep it short and simple. Not enough time to really dig in and explain things fully.

Is this an adult ed. course that meets on a regular basis? at the same college where you were taking food service photos? I wondered because you said they're supposedly an enthusiastic group so I'd guess maybe they've been in class together already.

You could look up the course listing/description to get an idea what this workshop/course is about. If the class is ongoing you might want to ask the students what's already been covered or what they did last week so you get some idea what they already know (unless the instructor left lesson plans but for an adult ed. class I don't know that those would be available).

My career has been in education but it's been some time since I've done classroom teaching or covered someone else's class; but I'd have some things in mind to discuss, or to have them do as a project if they'll be bringing cameras ready to use. Is there someplace you could walk around taking pictures? Or maybe think about what you could set up as a still life for them to photograph. I'd have a purpose in mind. You've gotten some good suggestions on here about what to cover if it's a one time workshop.

When you're being asked to do something at the college I think it would be appropriate to ask questions and find out some guidelines as to what to do and what their expectations are for the job they're asking you to do.

yes these aren't college students and its not for a college its seperate
its just a workshop for a reservation that's trying to get up to speed in terms of technology since its on a res. there is a lot of room to walk around and get shots

good advice though i was going to have them walk around but if i make a specific task i think it will make it easier on everyone

Is there any chance you can get the lesson plan from the teacher who had to bail, or do you have to develop your own?

Has there been any instruction yet, or will you be taking this class from the first lesson?

no apparently they had a family member pass away so I think calling them is just not an option, so I have to develop my own by oh tomorrow 10am and this will be the first lesson for everyone

those are some good suggestions thanks so much
the group was told to bring cameras and that camera phones were acceptable

This was the description given to me:

A workshop on Photo and Video Shooting Techniques. Please bring own cameras (video and/or still). If you have cables to connect to the computer, or any other way to get the video/pictures to computer, please bring those. Camera phones are acceptable. Class size limited to 12 people, lunch included.

I was told just to focus on Photography and not video shooting because that is not my expertise.

no apparently they had a family member pass away so I think calling them is just not an option, so I have to develop my own by oh tomorrow 10am and this will be the first lesson for everyone

Is this a class that people are paying for?

no its free for them but paid for by an initiative

When you teach, it's important to teach to the lowest common denominator. if someone has absolutely no understanding of photography, and everyone else is advanced, you have to teach to the person who doesn't know anything. It's better to bore the many than it is to alienate the few.

You're going to have to assess the proficiency level of the class very quickly. Given that they're inviting those with only cell phone cameras, I might dispense with the idea of spending too much time on exposure (which is pretty much auto for a cell phone), and concentrate more on things like composition and light. Thos are things which are universal. If you start talking f-stops, the people there with cell phones will start sending texts, because you'll have lost them.

Basically, talk in wide generalizations so as to include everyone. Now, everyone there might have an actual camera, and you'll need to deal with that. Do they have DSLR's? Point n' shoots? You're going to have to wing it, and you're going to have to be ready to teach to whatever the situation in the room is, and you'll need to be able to determine that in about 15 seconds.

More than anything, I would say this: You're the subject matter expert. Even if you've got Ansel Adams in your class, you're the guy. You're the one who, in the eyes of the class, has all the answers. To that, if someone asks you a question that you don't know the answer to, the absolute last thing you want to do is make something up that you hope will placate them. You will regret few things in your life more than that, because people like to ask questions they think they know the answer to. If you stumble, they'll pounce, and they'll do it in front of the entire class, and that's a no-win situation for you. Simply respond "I don't know, but I'll find out".

Good luck. Come back and let us know how it went...

First step is to survey your class. What cameras do they have...point and shoot, cell phones, DSLRs? What type of shooting are they interested in....family shots, birthdays, sports, scenery, etc.? How many have used flash?
What problems have they run into while taking pictures?

The answers to some of these questions will determine how basic and simple you will need to be with your content or how far you can go with a little more apparent complexity. You will also need to blend some "theory" with some practical assignments and some evaluation.

I have taught both photography and television production and it is quite a challenge.

"I was told just to focus on Photography and not video shooting because that is not my expertise." ... I'd avoid 'food photography' as well.

"I was told just to focus on Photography and not video shooting because that is not my expertise." ... I'd avoid 'food photography' as well.

get a life and go bother someone else
Steady on... I missed the fact that you were the member who had thread about the food photography; to be completely honest, based on that thread and the results you posted, I'm not entirely sure that your skill level is where it should be to function as an instructor. Teaching is NOT as simple as it might seem, and you absolutely must have a lesson plan as well as be able to answer all sorts of questions - even students in the most entry-level classes will ask off-the-wall questions and if you stumble over the answers, your students are going to lose faith in you VERY quickly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back