Photographying a colored paper over a totally black background?

Gerardo_G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_0473.JPG

I use a Canon PowerShot A1200.

I took this picture of a colored paper over black poster board using fluorescent lighting. I wish the lighting source didn't reflect over the poster board :(

So how can I take a picture of a colored paper over a totally black background?

I use a Canon PowerShot A1200.

I took this picture of a colored paper over black poster board using fluorescent lighting. I wish the lighting source didn't reflect over the poster board :(

So how can I take a picture of a colored paper over a totally black background?

Post process it. Select red paper. Invert. Click on the paint bucket, make sure your default colour is black, then pour. Wallah...black, black background.

Light Science and Magic - 4th edition - this the book you want to help you with lighting subjects; it will give you a good introduction and a detailed series of examples to work with.

Problem #1.
You can't have the red paper right on top of the black poster board.
The red paper needs to be at least a couple of feet from the black.

Problem #2.
You need to use strobed light (flash) and not constant (ambient) light (your fluorescents).
When using strobed light the lens aperture and strobed light power setting control the strobed light exposure. Shutter speed is used to control the ambient light exposure.
In that way you can grossly under expose the black poster board (use a fast shutter speed) while having the red paper properly exposed.

I like this a lot. I'd fix the lighting in the left, but I like the texture on the black and would not want to trade that for a uniform color.

Thank you everyone for your help. This are all awesome ideas... I'm gonna try most of them :D.

Why not just draw it with a simple graphics editor? Fill the entire frame with black, draw a square in it, and fill it with red. 30 seconds.

bklackandred.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back