Photomatix

HDR test1.jpg
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and started jumping into HDR. Went to my local church this am and took some shots before services. Downloaded a copy of Photomatix (demo copy) and processed a series of 5 images, taken at different shutter speeds. Here's the result - open for critique and suggestions. So far, my total extertise is about 20 minutes.

The church is oriented north, the sun was shining through the stained glass windows on the right, the pews are dark and the interior was dim.

Last edited:
View attachment 169327 Well, I finally pulled the trigger and started jumping into HDR. Went to my local church this am and took some shots before services. Downloaded a copy of Photomatix (demo copy) and processed a series of 5 images, taken at different shutter speeds. Here's the result - open for critique and suggestions. So far, my yoyal extertise is about 20 minutes.

The church is oriented north, the sun was shining through the stained glass windows on the right, the pews are dark and the interior was dim.
This is a good use of HDR, in my opinion, because it bring the image closer to what the eye would see as opposed to looking over cooked.

Thanks - I want to get some images with sunrise/sunset to see how it works in those conditions. Also, it would be fun to try some highly backlit objects to see if HDR can handle the contrast.

Nice to see that kind of restraint. You used it precisely the way it was intended to be used. I would have gone one stop further open, to get those last dim areas, but this was a very successful image, particularly for the first try.

Thanks,, I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

Most reactions

Back