Photos always coming out too redish.

I pulled your image into LR, cropped it and put the eyedropper on the white (supposedly) T-shirt and this is what it came up with. Closer? It moved the temp up +6, and tint up +9. The wall has moved more towards yellow.
Temp+6 Tint+9.jpg

For future use, I'd try some test shots (of the furniture or whatever) in their living room. Try different white balance settings, and jot down what you did so when you look thru the pictures you can see what worked best. Maybe try different times of day and on sunny and cloudy days.

I find that the predetermined WB settings for my camera usually work as expected or that Auto works in most situations, but in low light, at sunset etc. I have to see how the various settings look. Especially with sunsets, I usually preview to see which WB setting looks the most like what I'm actually looking at. What a WB setting is named by the manufacturer doesn't always work for a given lighting situation.

Actual WB is somewhat suggestive as exposure level and as TCambell said mixed lighting can throw it off. When shooting color the use of a known 18% gray will get you closer. Even then WB might not be what you actually want. At that point I find it faster amd more productive to go in the tone curve/channels and adjust individually the shadow, midtones, and highlights of the RGB channels.

Most reactions

Back