I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are two of my favorite from before the wedding.

Bride with Mother & Sister doing up the dress.
Michelle-01.jpg

Bride with some window light
Michelle-02.jpg

Comments or critique welcome.

Lots of photos from the wedding are on display at my web site http://groups.msn.com/RoadTripsandParties

Backgroud look like not suitable for wedding photo.But the smile of the girl look like cute!!!

Sorry if I am wrong

The lighting on the first one really draws attention to the bride.

The second is nice but as a chunky girl myself, I can say that a slight side angle view might have been more flattering. As to the background, a wedding is where a wedding is - there isn't always a "good" background choice available.

Definitely true about backgrounds, but you can either blur them with PS, clone them out completely or use a larger aperture to get the background blurry.

Nice photos, Mike! I usually do what Mavrik suggested and shoot at a really large aperture to get rid of those pesky background details that always seem to show up. I think you did a nice job getting natural expressions, very difficult to do on a wedding day after a ton of photos have been taken.

Well exposed shots :thumbup:.

What was the light source in the first frame? If flash, was it on a bracket or on the camera?

Thanks for the comments. Lighting in the first one is from my camera-mounted flash, bounced off the ceiling. That flash also has a flip up panel that directs some of the light forward when in bounce mode. I believe I also used bounce flash in the 2nd one, but most of the light is obviously from the window.

I know the backgrounds don't look all that good, but it's the bride's house so it may not look as bad to her. These are all shot at F4 with a 50mm F1.8 lens. I would love to shoot at a larger aperture but my flash unit only has settings for F4 & F8.

The hours & minutes before the wedding are usually rushed and/or stressful. I try to get my shots without adding to the chaos or getting in the way...not quite fully candid, photojournalist style but not really posed & orchestrated either.

I've been busy with some other stuff but I'll try to post some other shots from this wedding today some time.

You're right, Mike! I think the couple is a lot less harsh on the photos than the photographer is :) You've done a great job, especially with the limitations you had on the flash. I'm sure she'll love them and I look forward to seeing more!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back