Photos in Canadian airports and a note about Vancouver bus terminal

johninhalifax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks, I'm a total newbie on this forum but it seems like a great spot to share some information. Exploring photography rights issues in this era of paranoia and quasi government security controls is very interesting indeed.

1) I wondered what the law or rules are at Canadian airport security screening areas. Last month I very inconspicuously (aka secretly) recorded video and audio on my 808 keychain camera a few times while traveling as I passed through security. Nothing special happened and I didn't end up with anything that needed to be shared or preserved.

However I was curious about the law and any rules so I emailed the local airport authority (YHZ). Here's the reply:
Thank you for your inquiry about photography and filming at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. Generally, you are able to take photos of departing friends as they approach the security area or in other public areas of the terminal building. However, taking photos or filming (video or audio) of any part of the screening area or the security process is not permitted by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA). You can visit Canadian Air Transport Security Authority for more information about CATSA.
So I called the 1-800 number for CATSA and asked the same question; is photography of any sort permitted at security screening areas in the airport. He asked "what airport?" oddly enough. I told him. He then asked "Who are you?" and then clarified "for what reason would you take photos?". I responded that I would take photos as an ordinary traveler.

He said I would have to ask the site supervisor if I could take a photo. He said the supervisor would decide if I was a threat or not.

In other words the guy had absolutely no idea what the policy or law might be and he was just making things up.

So I wonder, since there are no signs "photography not permitted" what would happen if I took a few snaps. Would someone tell me to stop? Would they request me to delete them? What if I stopped but refused to delete them? Not sure I am willing to test this but I'm as curious as can be. Basically it would be nice to know the real and established rules and be sure if someone makes spurious claims that I am not permitted to photograph. Meanwhile my keychain cam is always running while I go through security.

2) While passing through Vancouver's Pacific Central Station last month, to catch a Pacific Coach Lines bus to the ferry terminal I witnessed a private security contractor "GARDA" searching someone's carry on bag. For a bus! I was so blown away that I snapped a photo. As soon as they were done the two security drones approached me, got in my face and said I could not take photos there. One demanded I delete the image. Being a coward, and being with my family, I complied.

So I emailed GARDA Security and got this reply:
We have investigated the incident you describe and wish to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please note that the restriction on pictures being taken on the Platform is an Security Policy of the property owner and is considered applicable due to the premises being classified as private property with public access. This policy is in place for security measures. The policy and/or breach thereof is not construed under law or statute – merely policy and procedure of the property. The security guards were acting within proper guidelines in advising you of the restriction on photographs.

This being said, we also must consider a common sense approach to handling situations such as these where a visitor such as yourself may be taking “harmless” pictures of departing friends or relatives. Our staff member may have overstepped his authority in “making” you delete the picture if it was in fact not a breach of security, and in hindsight should have asked you to cease taking further pictures.

It is unfortunate that your experience with one of our staff was construed as aggressive as opposed to a professional approach, and we will be counseling our staff accordingly.

Again thank you for your email, and we appreciate your feedback.
Is it up to a private security guard at a bus terminal bag screening service to judge whether someone is taking "harmful" photographs? What about the 10 other photos I took of the interior of the bus terminal and those of the loading platform?

So many made up "rules" and imagined authority! Any comments welcome!
Cheers,
John

The only place where the guard went beyond his authority is demanding that you erase the photo. Legally even a policeman cannot demand that you erase a photo in Canada or the US.

Other than that the policy seemed to be that they expected the guards to use common sense.

skieur

The only place where the guard went beyond his authority is demanding that you erase the photo. Legally even a policeman cannot demand that you erase a photo in Canada or the US.

Other than that the policy seemed to be that they expected the guards to use common sense.

skieur

It would be better if they followed clearly established policies. One guard's common sense is another person's civil liberties, etc. It seems so many anti-photography reactions by security personnel and even police are not based on any actual or potential security risk but are just visceral "we don't want photos taken here" reactions. Well worth challenging imo.

Here's an additional followup. The property owner has no policy against photography. The security company guards, and the representative who emailed me, are full of ****.

Thank you for your email concerning your experience.

Please note that VIA does not employ nor is responsible for the security service used for screening passengers travelling by Greyhound at Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. For reasons of safety and security Greyhound does employ a security service which screens it's passengers prior to boarding. We suggest that you contact Greyhound directly regarding your experience reported and concerns.

Regards,

*name redacted*
Customer Relations

I've had the same thing. The key is to not be a coward. Being with your family that may make things a little harder, but everyone who makes a stand matters. I had a security guard do the same thing except I was standing on a public walkway taking photos of a government building. He asked me to delete the picture and threatened to call the cops. So I asked him if he had a chair I could sit on while we waited for them to get there.

The vast majority of security personnel are macho bullies with an axe to grind who don't have a clue about the law much less the policy of their employer. It is critically important that people learn to put them in their place and that just because they have done a 2 day course in security doesn't make them cops, judge, jury and executioner in one go.

I have had a run-in with the police too, but despite what I hear the run-in was very pleasant.

Here's an additional followup. The property owner has no policy against photography. The security company guards, and the representative who emailed me, are full of ****.

Please note that VIA does not employ nor is responsible for the security service used for screening passengers travelling by Greyhound at Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. For reasons of safety and security Greyhound does employ a security service which screens it's passengers prior to boarding. We suggest that you contact Greyhound directly regarding your experience reported and concerns.

Regards,

*name redacted*
Customer Relations

Greyhound obviously has s h i t t y screening procedures and should maybe have better ones since a couple years ago some dude cut off another persons head while enroute. But that has nothing really to do with your photograph request really lol. :lmao:

Regards,

*name redacted*
Customer Relations

Well, if the property owner has no policy against photography then the security guard has NO say in the matter at all and has no right to even bother a photographer.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back