Photo's on CD for clients? How-to?

sunny16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a new photography student and I recently did a shoot of a friend to get familiar with my camera. She wants a disc of her pictures so she can print them. I have edited the photo's in Photoshop and saved them as a jpg in maximum quality (12).

1. Is the the correct way to save them before burning to disc? If not, can you walk me through step by step on how to save them correctly?
2.Will she be able to print up to 8x10?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Last edited:
forgive my lack of experience. as I said, I am new to this so how do I change the ppi? Can I change it on images already saved? Or will I have to open the image in PS, change the ppi and re-save them?

Put a copyright release/ right to print notice on the disc too, so that if she gets any flack at Walmart or Walgreens or RiteAid, or wherever, that she has some written copyright release entitling her, or the bearer of the disc, to print the images. Without a notice like this, many places will NOT print images that look "professional"

Keep the file names simple.

Most printing machines, like those made by Fuji for example, work great with .JPG images. Make sure to include a file type, like .JPG, on the end of the files when you are creating them.

okay. thanks. one more thing...I sent her a couple on Facebook and she saved them to her laptop, burned them herself and printed at walmart. she said the 8x10 was pixelated and the 4x6 was blurry. she only got a decent print from the 5x7. Please tell me this is because she saved it from Facebook and it wasn't something I did in the saving of the file :(

okay. thanks. one more thing...I sent her a couple on Facebook and she saved them to her laptop, burned them herself and printed at walmart. she said the 8x10 was pixelated and the 4x6 was blurry. she only got a decent print from the 5x7. Please tell me this is because she saved it from Facebook and it wasn't something I did in the saving of the file :(

It could be because she saved it off Facebook, but it could ALSO be, because you're not giving her high res files.

In photoshop, go up to File>Image Size and see what it says. Where it says 'Resolution' You should have 240 or 300, or somewhere... in between, I guess. Ha.

Did you resize before you uploaded to Facebook???

It says...
Image size: 46.0m
Fit to: Original size
Resolution: 300

It also has a box titled "resampled" and it is checked and says "auto"...and it has some dimensions for height and width.

oh and I forgot to say that No, I didn't resize before I uploaded to FB

They should have been hi-res when you worked on them in PS, so just save as .jpg maximum (like you did). What were the file sizes (approx.)? If you did it correctly they shoould be rather large. Burn these to a disk and designate "hi-res for print". For web viewing, FB and e-mailing, resize to 900 pixels, longest side, burn to a disk, or send via email, dropbox, etc., but clearly state these are for web viewing only and to use the hi-res disk for printing.

Facebook will downsize and also degrade large files. Never resample an image up. that will degrade it. Sounds like you did everthing right except for posting large files to FB. Anything over 960 longest edge will get reduced.

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much! You made me smile. I was so worried that I saved her pictures wrong to begin with and I would have to go back and do something to each one. So it WAS because she saved them off Facebook?! I can breathe now lol.

You guys here on the forum are awesome. Thanks so much for being so very kind to such a newbie! xoxoxoxox

You guys here on the forum are awesome. Thanks so much for being so very kind to such a newbie! xoxoxoxox
Wow! A good day. : ) Usually all we get are complaints for being mean to newbies. : P

Something a bit odd about machine prints made at various stores: out of hundreds of prints I have made on both Kodak and Fuji machines, there is a small percentage of prints which will be made using the thumbnail preview image that goes with an image...not sure why this is, but when it happens, you will get a TERRIBLE, pixellated image that looks just horrible. The machine will somehow target the preview image!!!

Wow! A good day. : ) Usually all we get are complaints for being mean to newbies. : P

We're such terrible people. Terrible, terrible, people. :lol: :sexywink:

That is usually after we C&C a newbie's photos! Remember? lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back