Photoshop 7

whatsafrog2do

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ilarawan.com
Just installed one onto my computer and I am absolutely clueless. Thank God for the sticky tutorials.

There's a book called Photoshop for Photographers, has anyone used this or any other book on PS? Or is it better just to print pages and pages of the tutorials.

I've been entirely self taught on photoshop using only experimentation and free tutorials on the net. With that said I've been using it since version 3.x, so theres been alot of time for me to play and learn.

Any book that you use will certainly make the learning curve shallower, but you should give the tutorials a go. They're a great (and free) resource.

if it wasnt for my hubby, i probably wouldnt know how to resize a photo :lol: ... but if i were u, i would take a photo and play with every function just to see what it does, if u need something specific, i would post it here :D

I will for sure check out the tutorials and of course I'm going the read the help files... (although most times they're not as indepth as the one's in the tutorial.)

Thanks, Dew for the offer of help, I'll prolly post a lot of questions on Photoshop.

I don't know when I'll get it rolling though, I've got so much to do, work is piling up, my website has been under eternal construction. :cry: photos to take, etc, etc.... oh and I need a life too. :)

Hey there frog, if I may...I too just got photoshop a couple of months ago and can empathize with you. I was totally clueless as to how to use it also. I think the key is, (and I'm sure others will agree) just take photo you've taken, and try different things out on it. Don't try to make a masterpiece out of it, just mess around, <edit menu> step backward...and try something else.

I also purchased a book my Scott Kelby called, "THe photoshop book for digital photographers." It gives you the basics, and some advanced stuff as well, and doesn't have that dry textbook feel.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask me...I'm no expert, but I know where you're coming from as far as learning the program is concerned...HAve a good one.-Jared

If anyone has any questions about Photoshop, let me know :D I have been using Photoshop for about 6 years now, and it's quite the handy tool for pictures. I use it all the time for any photo editing purposes.

Newsted

p.s. Here is an example
BeforeAfter.jpg

Thanks guys for the offer of help. I know I can always ask here if I ran into problems.

I found a tutorial site that starts from the very basic and that's what I'm embarking on now. I have Paint Shop Pro 7 but only did the simple tasks like resizing, adjusting colors and cropping. But I think I'd like to learn more advanced techniques but in Photoshop.

So I'm starting from scratch and move my way up.

Here's the site. Just in case there's anyone who might need it.

Adobe Photoshop Basics

i recently went to my local library and found several different editions of the actual adobe photoshop book. it explains pretty much everything you can do with photoshop in an easy to read format and in my opinion is very well written and is definetely worth the no money it costs to rent it.

crystalview said:
Hey there frog, if I may...I too just got photoshop a couple of months ago and can empathize with you. I was totally clueless as to how to use it also. I think the key is, (and I'm sure others will agree) just take photo you've taken, and try different things out on it. Don't try to make a masterpiece out of it, just mess around, <edit menu> step backward...and try something else.

I also purchased a book my Scott Kelby called, "THe photoshop book for digital photographers." It gives you the basics, and some advanced stuff as well, and doesn't have that dry textbook feel.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask me...I'm no expert, but I know where you're coming from as far as learning the program is concerned...HAve a good one.-Jared

better than that is to just click on the previous step in to history bar. :D

Try ISBN 0-321-11562-7 "Adobe Photoshop 7 Classroom in a book" and then once you get a bit of confidence try Katrin Eismann's "Restoration and Retouching" ISBN 0-7357-1350-2.

I learned a lot from this site:

http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp

Most of these tutorials deal more with adding elements, etc rather than adjusting contrast, etc. but there is some really good info here on how to add your face to the Lincoln Memorial or such, if you enjoy that aspect of Photoshop.

I think learning how to do this type of thing in PS is valuable even for folks who never plan to do those things. They teach you how to use the different tools so that you can see what happens when you make a new layer overlay instead of normal, for example.

Most reactions

Back