Photoshop confusion...

LisaCadwell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK. I use LR4 and I really like it. But, I've recently seen some photos that are edited with LR4 and then taken into a "module" of Photoshop and more editing done. Their editing on my photo looks so much better.

This is where I'm totally confused though. When I think of PS I think of the program that will cost me about $700 to get. I'm not getting a clear understanding for the Elements? Which program exactly should I be looking at for editing photos?

For example, other than smoothly out the faces etc, One photographer I've seen took a portrait of a gal sitting and put her in water. Another in the mountains and another one in a snow globe. All cool special effects.

Any suggestions or helpful links. I was on the adobe site but I'm just not sure what I'm really looking for.

Elements will allow you to do that kind of editing.
Photoshop can be bought at the student rate if you have a student of any age in your household.

Photoshop can be bought at the student rate if you have a student of any age in your household.

Great - I have two students. So why would you get the full program verses the Elements?

I might be wrong but I think the "full program" is cs6 illustrator, effects, InDesign, sound booth, dream weaver and the rest. Thats why the whole suite comes out to like 800.00 but I believe you can buy just the cs6 which comes with camera raw. which is all you basically need. if you already have light room then just get cs6 on its own. Unless you do intensive editing you really don't need PS IMO. I mostly run my photos through LR4 and that is about all it needs a lot of the time.

The name "Photoshop" is misleading. It's much more than just a photo editor. It's much much more.
Designers use it. Digital artists use it. I think the photography related features on it us actually only about 30% of less of the software.

I prefer Elements because it is a lot easier to use and organize the pictures. It does just about everything that cs6 does but more user friendly. I use LR and PSE together all the time. They each have great uses.

Great - I have two students. So why would you get the full program verses the Elements?
There is SO MUCH MORE!!! Elements is the baby program. Photoshop CS6 is the full monty.
Here's a good answer for you in the adobe forums: Adobe Community: FAQ: Why is Photoshop Elements cheaper? What's different about Photoshop?

I prefer Elements because it is a lot easier to use and organize the pictures. It does just about everything that cs6 does but more user friendly. I use LR and PSE together all the time. They each have great uses.
Elements has about 30% of the capabilities, features, and functions that regular CS 6 has.

Students qualify to buy Photoshop CS 6 Extended ($999 - full retail) for $249 from Adobe 3D design | Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended

or $229 at Amazon.com - Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6 Student and Teacher Edition for Mac [Download]

Adobe does not sell a Student Edition of regular CS 6. Extended has expanded video editing, 3-D and scientific functions.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So why would you get the full program verses the Elements?

Two words: content aware. Elements has content aware in the clone tool but nothing like the balls-to-the-wall abilities that's in CS. And while I know there are many different options to remove things, content aware is a game changer.

I use both the GiMP and Photoshop, anymore though I just use the GiMP for some of the pre-set filters and stuff. Nothing I couldn't do in photoshop, it's just 'pre built in' to the GiMP and is a lazy way to get things done some times! :p (For example, I recently did a project where I added graffiti onto a wall in photoshop, but greated the graffiti in the GiMP using one of their built in render modes, instead of taking the time to make it in photoshop, but I applied the graffiti in photoshop). My wife took a photoshop class and the school sold her CS6 extended for $99.99. (Sounds like a good deal but you gotta pay a few hundred bucks in tuition and buy a couple books to get there :p). But if my only option would be to pay retail, the GiMP can definitely do quite a bit.

I use lightroom for most stuff, but if you want to REALLY manipulate an image, then Photoshop is your tool. Lightroom/Elements are good for adjusting the Camera RAW features, doing a little spot editing, and organizing your photos. But if you want to do some serious HDR (more than just a plug-n-play program), some serious editing and touch ups, then again, photoshop is your tool

BUT, it's just that, a tool. For some, a hammer can build a home. For others, it can barely hang a picture in said home. Ever see a contractor drive a nail with one swing of a hammer? Ever see someone smash their thumb with a hammer hanging up Christmas decorations? If you don't know how to use photoshop and are not willing to learn, then, you probably won't be able to do anything beyond Lightroom. If you ARE willing to learn, then photoshop along with a couple good books, lots of great free videos online, or even a class at your local community college can go a LONG way.

It's like anything else really... how far do you want to invest you money and your time to better your skills and your images?

Ok. I think that I understand a bit more now. Thanks all. I really need to learn more on how to use PS before investing that kinda of money into it. Youtube videos... Here I come,

What did I ever do prior to youtube??????

Most reactions

New Topics

Back