Photoshop confusion...

Wow, just checked out content aware. I haven't upgraded CS since v4 since I use LR so much. If LR had a decent clone tool, I'd rarely leave it, but the content-aware thing may make me upgrade CS

You actually might want to pick up a copy of photoshop BEFORE you start learning. The YouTube videos are helpful but it's 10x more helpful to follow along and try it yourself.

My post wasn't meant to discourage you, all I meant was if you didn't want to invest the time and money into learning photoshop (which there is nothing wrong with!), then you would be wasting your money on photoshop because it won't do anything for you beyond lightroom or the GiMP. The things that set it apart are the very advanced features that you need to know a little bit about. It sounds like this IS something you want to invest some time on, so then it's probably a worthwhile investment! Surely you know SOMEBODY who can get you the student copy fairly cheap.

Also, do some research into monitor calibration. You don't NEED a high end monitor or a calibration device for a home hobby photographer, but you should at least do the free and easy stuff to get your monitor 'close'. The colors may not be rendering as they should.

A pro would be using a high end IPS display calibrated with a tool, but you don't need that, what you have at home is fine, but again before you start working on your photos try and ballpark calibrate it. Otherwise you might have a beautiful image on your screen that gets printed a funky shade of green on the skin!

Adobe also offers subscription options. With Creative Cloud, I don't find myself feeling that buying CS outright is financially sensible, especially given upgrades.

Last edited:
Photoshop is the best tool for the job, but you have to be willing to invest both the money AND time into learning about all of it's functionality...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back