Photoshop CS3 or current programms?

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At the moment my options of editing RAW files are:

1/ To convert RAW files to DNG by Adobe converter and use my old Photoshop CS3
2/ To buy the latest Lightroom or PS Elements.

Do latest Lightroom/Elements have any advantage over the older Photoshop ( part from more friendly interface and sharing/cataloguing options) ?
Is CS3 capable by modern standards or I will miss something essential?

Any advice is highly apprciated, thanks.

CS 3 & 4 uses Camera Raw (ACR) use Process Version 2010).
Lightroom 4, Elements 11, and CS 6 use ACR 7 - which is Process Version 1012.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Process versions

I would recommend getting Lightroom 4, rather than Elements 11 since you already have CS 3.

If you have a registered version of CS 3, you would be eligible for CS 6 upgrade pricing - $199.
However based on Adobe's current 3 versions back upgrade pricing policy, only CS 4, CS 5, and CS 6 owners will be eligible for upgrade pricing when Adobe launches CS 7 ($699).

Last edited:
Thanks KmH, I thought about upgrading to CS6, but to be honest Photoshop is such an overkill for my needs. And I met some contradictive opinions about this upgrade, p.e. some say that 2003 process is far more effective in removing chromatic abberations etc. ( I suspect this is all nitpicking really) So probably yes, user friendly Lightroom + CS3 as a back up, makes sense to me.

I just wonder if there are any drawbacks in editing/keeping files in DNG.

Basically there are just 2 disadvantages to DNG,

1. You have to concert your camera's proprietary raw files to the DNG format.
2. The proprietary Raw conversion software that comes with your camera probably won't be able to open a DNG file.

2.1) What are the disadvantages of DNG format?
  1. Conversion from RAW to DNG takes extra time during the import process.
  2. DNG does not work with all manufacturer image-processing programs. For example, it doesn’t work with Nikon’s Capture NX product.
  3. DNG strips out some of the unrecognized meta data (such as Active D-Lighting and Picture Control) from RAW files, making it impossible to retrieve this data from DNG in the future.
  4. Because all changes are written into the DNG file, you would have to back up the entire DNG file every time you make changes to it.

DNG vs RAW

Hi sashbar,

Lightroom 3.6 or Lightroom 4 depending on whether you have a 64 bit machine or not is an interesting option to look at.

LR has the latest camera raw converter and adjustment capabilities...some photogs think the LR ACR is really improved from a quality of image perspective. And of course you would gain the ability to look at all of your images from a shoot, to rank them, to sort them, and to make all kinds of brightness, develop and cropping adjustments to the images. There is also a very powerful paint brush inside LR that allows you to selectively paint on brightness or contrast or any other adjustment that is available in the upper develop section. This gives you the power to visually manage your photo sessions, to crop and correct them, to selectively enhance them (including lens corrections) and then go out to an online web gallery, a slideshow or a multiple print sheets. It could be that the Photoshop CS3 Camera Raw is not capable of seeing your newer camera...but... LR Would be able to see and import almost all new cameras to date.

The great part of LR is that you can always export the pictures right into CS3 and work on them and then save them right back into lightroom without any problems or special steps. CS3 is the first version of Photoshop that was totally suitable for retouching portraits at a professional level...and of course travel and landscape images no problem too. It is my opinion that if someone wants Photoshop at a great price and wants good power then CS3 is a great version. The features they added in CS4,5 and 6 are all flashy and neat and all...but I dont use them too much honestly for high end professional retouching (maybe puppet warp in CS5 occasionally). All the essential good basics are in CS3 and it does not tax your memory or video card too much unlike other versions.

If youre happy with CS3...you have a good base foundation for most all that you would need for a majority of retouching and fix up in my opinion (I own CS4, 5 and 6 but I dont apologize for how good CS3 was). Owning Lightroom would get you up to date so you might NOT have to use the DNG work around (dont know what camera you have). It would also get you the latest/greatest RAW converter, updated for your camera possibly...plus all the management and adjustment capabilities that a lot of people are happy with. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Ray

Most reactions

Back