New H.266/VVC video compression standard coming

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It is funny thinking about this. I have watched video codecs from before MJPEG through to H.265 and I used to to look forward to them. I don't anymore. H.265 has been around for a long time now and I have no support for it in any camera body that I currently own -- including my recently bought Panasonic Lumix G85. I have software in my computers to convert to and from H.265, and actually, I have had that capability for many years now, but I have not even tried to view an H.265 file on my computer yet.

Why is this not exciting? Because H.265 and the coming H.266 are "lossy" codecs. They claim great saving of space, but the fine print would say "only if you actually give up some image quality." So what happens when you don't want to lose the quality? You end up basically not using the compression much, or at all. Notice how all the rage lately is "All - I" and "RAW"? "All-I" means not using most of the compression capability of H.264. These are the currently preferred "Pro" formats.

Another bad news issue is that my experience has been that you cannot gain the advantage of newer codec by cross converting. I have tried converting from MJPEG and H.263 (remember H.263 from the days of DVDs?) up to H.264. What I found was that in order to "not lose quality", the H.264 files were the same size or larger than the original files. So my big hope of converting files to H.264 to save space ended up a pipe-dream. I have not tried converting from H.264 to H.265, but I expect that if I do I will find the same thing.

So no, I'm not really excited about this:

"New H.266/VVC video compression standard will reduce video sizes by up to 50%",
posted Jul 5, 2020 by "Damien Demolder" for DPReview.com:
"New H.266/VVC video compression standard will reduce video sizes by up to 50%"

I am glad you do these things, that way if we ever need it, it is already figured out. =]

I have no idea what you just said. Right over my turnip:D

[Sorry for the confusion, I posted to the wrong topic. Ignore this reply. :)]

Last edited:
I'm still lost.

What would you call this in a photo editing software? Possibly a histogram of all the data?

Most reactions

Back