Photoshop CS4 question

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok i'm thinking about getting this because i'm starting to get some money now and I was wondering if I will be able to do everything in CS4 that I could do in lightroom 2? I know understand it may take a few more steps or be a bit harder but in the end can I do it all. Right now I can only buy 1 program and photoshop has a lot of things I like, like layering and changing big things in the pictures that you can't do in lightroom but can I easily edit the saturation and exposure and everything like that? Thanks
tj

You use the camera raw plugin that does everything you can in Lightroom. What you use is the ability to catalogue your images.

I have LR2 and CS4.

In general, Lightroom is better for high volume & general editing and Photoshop is best for deeper editing control on fewer images. But even with just Photoshop, you can use Bridge to edit with camera raw on multiple images, though it still isn't quite as fast as working in Lightroom.

Since they added the adjustment brush to Lightroom 2 it has been a much more solid image editor, and they've added plugins like Portraiture, as well. However, the inability to really work with layers, adjustment layers, and channels is a severe limiting factor in what you can do.

As a wedding photographer, I use LR to sort images and do basic adjustments on RAW files. Then I tweak out my favorites in PS. Or if an image really needs something removed or fixed, I use PS.

I say go with Photoshop. As mentioned above, you can do everything you can do in LR with an addition of the RAW plugin, which most cameras bring with on a CD (or can be downloaded from canon.com, nikon.com, etc.)

You could also look into photo shop elements if you don't have 699.99 bucks for photo shop. I think there to photo shop elements 7 right now. I used it for a while. Worked great for me but switched to cs4 due to expanding and learning graphics. So all depends on your budget too.

I think CS5 is just around the corner.

Then i guess i'll try to wait for cs5 and i'll be able to get the student discount so it won't be 700 dollars thank God.

btw Mike do you have any idea of what month it will be coming out? Thanks

Since they release their products every 18-24 months, spring '10 is most likely when you should start expecting CS5. However, there are rumors that it might come out as early as this December. Rumors are rumors, though.

I heard some old rumors that it was going to be last month or this month...I guess not.

The complete image editing solution, as Adobe intended all along, is having both Lightroom and CS4.

I think the student discount is only good for CS4 Extended, ($1000 retail) but it's a 70% or 80% discount and is still prettty sweet.

The complete image editing solution, as Adobe intended all along, is having both Lightroom and CS4.

I think the student discount is only good for CS4 Extended, ($1000 retail) but it's a 70% or 80% discount and is still prettty sweet.

Ya i know they were meant to be used together but for now I would only be able to get one and cs4 just seems like they're are so many more possibilities. The student discount is the only reason I can even hope for photoshop. The prices they charge are nuts.

What is your budget like? I just got both photoshop cs4 and lightroom for about $350, this due to the student discount.

I would say it depends on what you want from the editor. I have found that I have only been using photoshop cs4 to stamp out things from images if needed, adjust the size of the photo, and do airbrushing.

I use lightroom more than photoshop, but that's just me.

I heard some old rumors that it was going to be last month or this month...I guess not.

I read 2nd quarter of next year before it's ready? Only been out since October 2008 and the minimum time so far for a new release has been 18 months.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back