Photoshop cs5 vs Lightroom 4

Lightroom and Photoshop operate separately.

CS 5 Camera Raw (ACR) is fast, and can deal with multiple files just like Lighrtroom cam. CS 5 Bridge can host ACR and do batch processing, while CS 5 also hosts ACR and does other editing on multiple files. It's like having 2 of Lightroom running at the same time.

CS 5 Bridge also has direct to web and some of the other features Lightroom has.

But if anyone that already has CS 5/Bridge/ACR wants to go ahead and spend the money to duplicate a lot of those features by getting Lightroom, they can sure do so.

Last edited:
I am fairly new to Photography but I have both photoshop and lightroom I like Lightroom's file management But I do still use photoshop I like having them both lightromm will send my photos to where I need them Photoshop online desktop with out a lot of fuss but what I really like is the group edit say you have 10 photos that all need the same thing lightroom will edit them all in one click nice time saver.

Hi - Both very good programs - Designed for two distinct reasons - Lightroom is for workflow and Photoshop is for every thing you cant do in Lightroom .

Actually, Lightroom and Photoshop have a lot of overlap.

It seems a lot of people that have Photoshops Bridge don't know how much Bridge can actually do.

KmH said:

It seems a lot of people that have Photoshops Bridge don't know how much Bridge can actually do.

^^^^ this. A previous poster said they can edit 10 photos with 1 click in LR - you can do the same thing in Bridge.....

I like LR but I probably wouldn't ever buy it. I can do pretty much everything in photoshop (bridge, ACR) that LR can do.

For lightroom to intergrate properly with photoshop you ideally need the same process version (that means CS6) although LR4 will work with Cs3.
Lightroom is a stand alone program that "links" to photoshop (and some other programs) so you have the option of sending a pic to that for more in depth editing if you need to do so.

KmH said:

But bridge is a file browser, not a catalog/workflow program made specifically for photographs and photographers. I used to think Adobe bridge was adequate, until I used lightroom and realized there are 1,000 things in lightroom specifically made to make my life easier when organizing and developing photos.

Good on you cobber.

For me as a full time working pro, Lightroom's database management capabilities were serious overkill, and Bridge handily did everything I needed to do.

Adobe has been utterly astonished at the popularity of Lightroom. Cha-Ching!

Good on you cobber.

For me as a full time working pro, Lightroom's database management capabilities were serious overkill, and Bridge handily did everything I needed to do.

Adobe has been utterly astonished at the popularity of Lightroom. Cha-Ching!

Agreed. There are times I like editing in LR4 because I need to the minimal or am crunched for time and need a quick fix. However, I will take Photoshop and Bridge over LR any day of the week.

DONT DOWNLOAD IT. it will........................save you 1000s of dollards.

Derrel said:
And TONS of time, and aggravation too!

Here is an article written by famous Photoshop trainer, lecturer, and photographer Scott Kelby. His article is entitled, "100 Ways Lightroom Kicks The Bridge (and Camera Raw's) A$@"

100 Ways Lightroom Kicks the Bridge (and Camera Raw’s) A$@! | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

Hmmm, funny you say that, considering the version of photoshop I use (CS6) has the same exact RAW editing engine as LR4, ACR 7.

Not to mention the editing capabilities of photoshop goes eons above and beyond what Lightroom could ever fathom.

Really it comes down to familiarity and personal preference. I prefer PS and Bridge over LightRoom because I have experience with bridge since its debut. I've been using the adobe platform ever since photoshop 5.0. So, if I would have learned in LR, I would probably use it more, but I can navigate in Bridge much faster than I can in LR.

I dont have much experience in either. I am learning now. I have photoshop sc5 on my computer already and just play around in camera raw. I have not done any serious editing yet.

I also have PS express on my ipad for editing but I am not to thrilled with editing on a tablet unless I really have to. Only reason I have it was because it was a free app I could play around with.

I am still obviously starting out as you can tell if you looked at my pictures in other threads I have started. Photoshop camera raw tough seems pretty straight forward to me though when it comes to editing. I can edit pictures fairly quickly and I dont really find it hard to navigate using Bridge either. I can keep my files pretty organized and view and edit albums in a timely manner.

I guess what I really need to know is how does Lightroom make it easier to manage your database?

Derrel said:
And TONS of time, and aggravation too!

Here is an article written by famous Photoshop trainer, lecturer, and photographer Scott Kelby. His article is entitled, "100 Ways Lightroom Kicks The Bridge (and Camera Raw's) A$@"

100 Ways Lightroom Kicks the Bridge (and Camera Raw’s) A$@! | Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider

Hmmm, funny you say that, considering the version of photoshop I use (CS6) has the same exact RAW editing engine as LR4, ACR 7.

Not to mention the editing capabilities of photoshop goes eons above and beyond what Lightroom could ever fathom.

Really it comes down to familiarity and personal preference. I prefer PS and Bridge over LightRoom because I have experience with bridge since its debut. I've been using the adobe platform ever since photoshop 5.0. So, if I would have learned in LR, I would probably use it more, but I can navigate in Bridge much faster than I can in LR.

The original post is comparing Photoshop CS 5 versus Lightroom 4... We are comparing a low-cost, affordable program, Like Lightroom 4, versus a Photoshop version that MANY beginning digital shooters will not be able to afford...you're bringing in CS SIX....we've been talking about CS FIVE versus Lightroom 4.

Lightroom 4 is very affordable for the first-time buyer, AND it has an INCREDIBLE, simply INCREDIBLE ABILITY TO DO EXTREME tonal adjustments, with "novice users" running the application without the need to resorting to advanced layering and masking techniques. LR 4 is the subject of a gushing article on The Luminous Landscape website...catering to HARD-CORE landscapers who want to be able to pull off extreme tonal corrections with superb results....

I am a Lightroom "newbie" myself...here is my second portraiture session that I have EVER DONE using Lightroom, using the "old" 2010 3.6 Lightroom. For "me", recommending software to a beginner or first-time digital photographer, I have to say, after using Photoshop for 15 years, and now having been using Lightroom for about two weeks now...for a "photographer", LR is the schizz-nit. I listened to the "Photoshop-ONLY" crowd for about two and half years too long. I can see that for myself now.

tanya_at_the_river Photo Gallery by Derrel at pbase.com

Keep in mind, these are just pounded out in LR...this entire set is my PROOFS...none of these are even REMOTELY what I would call "finals". This set has 11 pages of files, right off of my CF cards,so you can see that for me, who tries to get things right in-camera, LR works really well. I bought this copy of LR 3.6 for $59 I bought this summer on an internet blow-out sale after 4.1 was announced and actually out. LR 3.6, rookie user (me)....hmm...upgrading to 4.1 in three...two...

Last edited:
/begin Novel
(lots of this was copied from another post on a similar topic a couple months ago, some is new stuff too):

I was the biggest Cs5/Photomatix/Bridge/ACR junky ever, just 2 months ago. That was me in a nutshell. I just got LR 4.1 maybe a couple months ago.
I am absolutely floored by how awesome it is. So much so, that I feel like an idiot for not getting it earlier.

I haven't been this enthusiastic about a piece of photography software, probably EVER. This includes my beginnings with CS5. This includes Nik Software's awesome CS5 plugin's. This includes OnOne's plugin Suite. This includes the Topaz filter plugins I've used. Nothing gets used nearly 10% of the time that Lightroom does.

I was using a clunky folder system and adobe bridge for my workflow. I would overlook so many shots because this was just not adequate or efficient workflow. Every time you go into Bridge, you are loading a FILE DIRECTORY, not a CATALOG. There's a huge difference. For one, Bridge is much slower. I constantly have the need to browse hundreds of RAW files, and bridge is just not fast or smart enough.

With a CS5/bridge workflow I was opening 3-5 SEPERATE PROGRAMS TO PROCESS ONE IMAGE. Workflow KILLER!

1. Adobe Bridge
  2. ACR module
  3. CS5
  4. CS5 plugins
  5. CS5 plugins

Each of these programs have different modules, different keyboard shortcuts, different interfaces, to accomplish the processing of a single photo.

Now in Lightroom, you're able to navigate around smoothly in the SAME interface, bouncing between your "catalog" where all your files are easily accessible, and "develop" where you process one or multiple photos. It's simplified the process substantially.

Lightroom is made by photographers, for photographers. Bridge is a file browser. Bridge is NOT specifically made for photos, it's a MEDIA directory.

My experiences so far (in a matter of only a few months of use)

• I created 5 facebook albums in the course of about 2 hours. I easily sifted through 2,000 RAW files in the process. I published the files to the Facebook by connecting LR directly to it. I can create albums in no time, straight from LR. Better yet, I've made my export settings on the publish to downsize all the pictures in the album to 960px (max upload size before facebook's ****ty resizer kicks in) and add medium sharpening for screen viewing. This optimizes the look of my photos on FB, and it's all INTEGRATED directly into LR. Imagine how long that would take if you manually resized an album of 50 pictures for web viewing. Sucky! I have better things to do with my time. But LR does it for me, so WIN! Lightroom integrates with tons of other websites too for FAST, HASSLE-FREE publishing.
  • I went back through over 5,000 raw files and found literally 100 shots that I had completely missed because my workflow sucked
  • Non-destructive editing-- everything I do in lightroom is kept in history in LR and never touches the original CR2 file. I can make 50 adjustments to an image, come back to it a year later, and revert back to any point and time through my editing. I can go back after making a crop to an image and re-crop it differently. It's non-destructive, so ANY change I make to a file, I can undo. any changes I've made to the photo, even days later. Simply amazing!
  • Huge previews. I can set lightroom to give me HUGE previews optimized for my screen. This really helps me tell RIGHT AWAY which shots are sharp and which shots SUCK! Before, it was just a waiting game and a guessing game if the photo was in focus/sharp with the surprisingly inadequate bridge loupe tool. Not only that, I have full size previews rendering on one of my monitors so I can see the image BIG without clicking on it (Lightroom advantage).
  • Live previews, as you make changes you can see the photo at a reasonable resolution.
  • SHADOWS and HIGHLIGHTS sliders are seriously giving me +3 and -3 DR out of a single RAW. Adobe has really perfected their algorithms and done away with Recovery (made highlights muddy), fill light (flattened and took away contrast) and replaced them with MUCH BETTER tools. It really helps you get the MAXIMUM dynamic range out of a single file which is extremely useful. (CS6 has the same ACR apparently, but CS5 has the old one).
  • Instead of opening 3 programs to handle one file (Cs5, bridge, ACR) almost everything is handled in LR in a very user friendly and smooth interface.
  • I am only using cs5 for probably 1/20 images. That's how good LR is at creating the final product.

I mean, honestly, is it really necessary to do pixel-level editing on every photo? Especially when most of mine will just be viewed at small-medium sizes on the web. LR really takes care of the bulk of editing needs. It's sole purpose of existence is to make organizing and working on photos easier for the photographer who shoots RAW.

For layering, masking, and advanced editing I'll still use CS5.

There's only 100 more reasons why Lightroom is better than bridge/any other tool out there for organizing:

-- 100 ways lightroom kicks Bridge's Ass!

(these videos were made for version 3.6 I believe, 4.1 is just all that and a bag of chips)

Also, make sure you optimize LR for your system. I significantly increased my maximum allowed cache and preview viewing size and it really improved my experience

-- 10 Tips to Improve Lightroom’s Speed and Performance Without Additional Hardware

/end Novel

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back