Photoshop CS5 vs LR4

WOW, Rotanimod, I wish you'd tell us how you REALLY feel! :lol:
I've been floating along, halfway ignoring the fact that Lightroom even exists because I have CS5 (which my company paid for) and *I* would have to pay for LR and I just figured there wasn't that much reason to have it.
Your post makes me want to drop everything, and BUY. Lightroom. ;)

Well, it at least makes me think that perhaps I'll reconsider whether I should purchase it or not.

My passion exudes because it's that good. You can try it out free for 30 days. Looks like the trial is fully functional too, so don't take my word for it, you decide!

Okay, I may just do that. Where would you suggest looking for tips on how to use it and the best workflow to use? I'd like to not spend the entire 30 days of a trial period just figuring out how to use it.
My workflow is definitely the weakest area of my PP right now.
Seriously, if you detailed it for you, you would ALL flame me. :lol: I'll just tell you that it does NOT involve Bridge, which I've never bothered to really learn (although I've used PS for years). It DOES involve a pencil and paper, on which I WRITE DOWN the shots I think I might want to keep...yeah, it gets worse from there.

At any rate, I was just about to break down and start learning Bridge, because since starting to shoot RAW several months ago, the prehistoric abacus-style system I'm using for a workflow just ain't cutting it.

IMO, you only NEED LR if you are dealing with a ton of images. (for example, when I shoot car shows/races I end up with 400+ images.. no way i'd want to edit them individually) Otherwise, Photoshop will do everything that LR can..

It DOES involve a pencil and paper, on which I WRITE DOWN the shots I think I might want to keep...yeah, it gets worse from there.

At any rate, I was just about to break down and start learning Bridge, because since starting to shoot RAW several months ago, the prehistoric abacus-style system I'm using for a workflow just ain't cutting it.

Hey, the 20th century called, they want their quill and ink well back. :lmao:

IMO, you only NEED LR if you are dealing with a ton of images. Otherwise, Photoshop will do everything that LR can..

...Just slower, and less conveniently.

IMO, you only NEED LR if you are dealing with a ton of images. (for example, when I shoot car shows/races I end up with 400+ images.. no way i'd want to edit them individually) Otherwise, Photoshop will do everything that LR can..

I don't really agree with that statement. Technically, you could achieve the same things in Cs5, but it would take you five times longer.

Cs5 is made for pixel level editing, layering, masking.

LR is made for organizing and workflow, and making life easier on those who shoot RAW specifically.

Two completely different programs that do completely different things that have some commonalities.

NEED??
I don't NEED Lightroom. I don't NEED Photoshop. Or even a camera.
I WANT them.

I NEED food, clothing and shelter. Everything else is just gravy. ;-)

Sorry. That whole "need/want" distinction is just a little pet peeve of mine. I do get your point. And while I may not be organizing dozens of client photos every week (or EVER, what with not being a professional), I'd say I definitely take more photos in a typical week than I am currently able to keep up with in my current workflow.

Hey, the 20th century called, they want their quill and ink well back. :lmao:

HEY!! I resemble that remark... ;)

Okay, I may just do that. Where would you suggest looking for tips on how to use it and the best workflow to use? I'd like to not spend the entire 30 days of a trial period just figuring out how to use it.
My workflow is definitely the weakest area of my PP right now.
Seriously, if you detailed it for you, you would ALL flame me. :lol: I'll just tell you that it does NOT involve Bridge, which I've never bothered to really learn (although I've used PS for years). It DOES involve a pencil and paper, on which I WRITE DOWN the shots I think I might want to keep...yeah, it gets worse from there.

It's really intuitive, I don't think you'll have much of a problem with it at all. But follow the links in my previous post, specifically the 100 reasons ones. All the videos are about 2 minutes long but are very helpful and straight to the point. That will give you a great idea of what you can do. If you're still a bit lost try some video tutorials on specific aspects of the program

35 Basic Adobe Lightroom Tutorials For Beginners

...Just slower, and less conveniently.

I don't really agree with that statement. Technically, you could achieve the same things in Cs5, but it would take you five times longer.

Cs5 is made for pixel level editing, layering, masking.

LR is made for organizing and workflow, and making life easier on those who shoot RAW specifically.

Two completely different programs that do completely different things that have some commonalities.

Do you know guys how to use Adobe Camera Raw? (part of PS5) There's nothing slower about it.. it's literally the same functions as LR.

I do agree with Rotanimod about LR being for organizing and workflow, which is why I said get if you're organizing/editing a lot of images because that's where the way faster part comes into play... or maybe you guys missed that part? *shrug

Last edited:
NEED??
I don't NEED Lightroom. I don't NEED Photoshop. Or even a camera.
I WANT them.

I NEED food, clothing and shelter. Everything else is just gravy. ;-)

Sorry. That whole "need/want" distinction is just a little pet peeve of mine. I do get your point. And while I may not be organizing dozens of client photos every week (or EVER, what with not being a professional), I'd say I definitely take more photos in a typical week than I am currently able to keep up with in my current workflow.

If your intention is to create photographs, then yes, you do 'need' certain things to do it. Sorry you have issues with the word "need" but it is a word that is relevant to more than just the basics of life, based on whatever expectations/intentions you might have, which in this case, is making photos.

bhop said:
Do you know guys how to use Adobe Camera Raw? (part of PS5) There's nothing slower about it.. it's literally the same functions as LR.

I do agree with Rotanimod about LR being for organizing and workflow, which is why I said get if you're organizing/editing a lot of images... or maybe you guys missed that part? *shrug

Yes, I've used it in Photoshop, and it is much slower. It is not nearly as streamlined or as accessible as LR IMO.

bhop said:

I do agree with Rotanimod about LR being for organizing and workflow, which is why I said get if you're organizing/editing a lot of images... or maybe you guys missed that part? *shrug

Yes, I've used it in Photoshop, and it is much slower. It is not nearly as streamlined or as accessible as LR IMO.

That's cool then. To me it's not slower at all, maybe you've used an old version? Dunno.. no hard feelings, everyone has their own workflow and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back