Photoshop default 16 bit

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a way I can set up Photoshop to default to 16 bit? 9 out of 10 times I forget this. I searched and read some but most said to change in ACR but that was an old post and it seems things have changed.
Thanks

Nevermind, I found it. lol
What color settings are recommended?? ProPhoto?

What color settings are recommended?? ProPhoto?

I haven't run across it in awhile, it used to be that several of the features in Ps forced you down to 8 bit. Don't know if upgrades have alleviated that issue or I just haven't used those tools.

I use ProPhoto

If you're using Lightroom Classic as your primary editing and library management tool, the settings for editing externally in Photoshop are actually configured in Lightroom, and I believe they override your Photoshop settings. Here is a screen capture of my settings, which I believe are still on the default values.

Click on Lightroom Classic > Preferences
lightroom_photoshop_settings.png

My pse9 will only allow me to edit in 8bit

believe they override your Photoshop settings

ProPhoto is the default for Lr and the preferred setting. I leave Lr jin 16 bit and 300 as resolution. When you send an image from Lr to Ps it won't automatically override your Ps settings, but it will give you a popup warning that the color space is different

Bit depth is set by the Raw converter since PS can't open a Raw file without going through ACR or LR's ACR first.

As for colour settings, there is debate as to which colour space to use. AFAIK, ProPhoto can not print on any device if you send out your files and it can not be displayed on your monitor, so it may cause some artifacts when editing. It is however, the largest colour gamut.

If you get a warning when opening up a file in PS you can change that through the Colour Settings dialogue and create your own Working Spaces and Colour Management Policies.

ps_cs.jpg

Most reactions

Back