Photoshop face swap

Ccombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had a family photo shoot recently that was pretty miserable. It was a rough day weather wise and the kids were sick and cold. They cried basically from the moment they got out of the car till they left. Grandmother was insistent we get this done because the majority of the family was in town. 12 in all. I did the best I could in a short amount of time, and gave them pics that had most of the people smiling and looking at the camera. Grandma wanted me to swap a face in photoshop to get one more smile in the pic. I’ve never bothered with that before, but did. Then she wanted to photoshop in the one kid and daughter-in-law that was not there for the shoot. That was a definite no for me. I’m not photoshopping another photographers photo into mine. My question is how many of you swap faces in a family portrait to get all smiles and happy looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I face swap often, but my own pictures. Would never do this request.

Need more people like you to say No
What you do with your picture is up to you but using others agree with you I would say no
Had something like that, I was out having coffee with a friend, one the cafe wall a really nice piece of art
In a not so quiet whisper friend asked# can you photograph that and print it really big for me#
Edit sad to Said no and er um went on to give a lecture on copyright we have not spoken of the matter since

Last edited:
Asking me to insert someone else’s photo is just absurd. As if the legal and ethical issues weren’t enough, it would have looked stupid. I don’t want that for my own work. As far as swapping faces of the same people from other pics I took during that shoot, the request caught me off guard because I never considered it and hadn’t heard of anyone doing it. I don’t feel comfortable with the idea personally. I think the client has some obligation to pay attention and smile if they want to look presentable. Kids are just tough so I shoot quite a few pics to get the best I can of them. These kids were impossible to get good shots of. I was just curious if this was more common than I thought, and I am missing something I hadn’t considered.

I will swap faces/heads. I do work from a tripod (always), so that makes it a bit simpler.

I have added an missing person, BUT... it was per-arranged. I gave detailed direction to the absent person on how the photo was to be made... lighting direction, ratio and the like.

-Pete

Like @Braineac, I've done this a lot, usually just with eyes; you get a big group and everyone looks perfect, but one person blinked? Easy surgery. Occasionally a whole face, but NEVER with someone else's image.

Yep, done the face and/or eye swap often on large groups. Despite giving a countdown, some people just can't help blinking or looking away just as the flash goes off. No biggie in my book, at some point they all looked toward the camera just maybe not at the same time, LOL.

As far as taking someone else's photo and using content in one of mine, hell no!

I've only ever swapped things like the mouth. We and another family had gone to a store's Santa-Arrival and in a particular setting I took several pictures of the other family and no one photo had everyone smiling and looking happy at the same time. I ended up grabbing the smile from one picture and pasting it onto another picture to make the best result.

In my case, the exposures, ISOs, distances to subject, lighting, and relative height were all identical, so I barely had to do anything to blend it in. The polite fiction I made was very easy.

I probably wouldn't add people in that weren't there. First, the lighting, distance from camera to subject, height of the camera relative to the subject, and possibly other characteristics would undoubtedly be different and I'm not that good with photo manipulation, and second, the only time I do "photoshops" more than simple corrections is when I'm in a photoshop contest, usually something intentionally bizarre or funny. If they weren't there, they weren't there.

Thanks all for the responses. It was just not something I ever really considered. I try to keep things as simple as possible. I can see a little manipulation in the right context improving a photo. I forgot to add, she wanted me to cut out the wife of one son because he said he asked for a divorce less than a week later. I think everything she was asking would have made the photo something it wasn’t to begin with and therefore a pile of crap.

Thanks all for the responses. It was just not something I ever really considered. I try to keep things as simple as possible. I can see a little manipulation in the right context improving a photo. I forgot to add, she wanted me to cut out the wife of one son because he said he asked for a divorce less than a week later. I think everything she was asking would have made the photo something it wasn’t to begin with and therefore a pile of crap.

Unfortunately I think that you've opened a can of worms by letting-on that you have the ability to do editing of any kind.

For the tweaking I described, I did not let on that I had modified the images. I simply did and sent it along, since nothing changed was implausible from the experience being there firsthand to see it, and I suppose that's part of my criteria for realism even with such manipulation, it basically had to happen in-setting, even if it was not at the exact moment of the shutter moving.

I've only ever swapped things like the mouth. We and another family had gone to a store's Santa-Arrival and in a particular setting I took several pictures of the other family and no one photo had everyone smiling and looking happy at the same time. I ended up grabbing the smile from one picture and pasting it onto another picture to make the best result.

In my case, the exposures, ISOs, distances to subject, lighting, and relative height were all identical, so I barely had to do anything to blend it in. The polite fiction I made was very easy.

I probably wouldn't add people in that weren't there. First, the lighting, distance from camera to subject, height of the camera relative to the subject, and possibly other characteristics would undoubtedly be different and I'm not that good with photo manipulation, and second, the only time I do "photoshops" more than simple corrections is when I'm in a photoshop contest, usually something intentionally bizarre or funny face swapping. If they weren't there, they weren't there.
Are there any good web based sites, for high quality face swaps? I don’t have a PC to do it on. The only good one I’ve found was Akool but don’t like their payment system. I tried Webit but the quality is terrible. I guess you get what you pay for lol. Any good sites you guys recommend? Preferable one with a free trial so I can test before joining?

I know a photographer who will do extensive photoshop work, but at $200 per hour. She says very few want much done when they find out that. lol

I do retouch/photoshop for a company here in St. Louis. For a face swap we charge around $25-50 depending on difficulty and number of heads ($75 per hour). Would need the largest image size possible. 600kb don't cut it.

Example of my work.....
CZaoZbW.jpg

xL729JH.jpg

Impressive!

I do retouch/photoshop for a company here in St. Louis. For a face swap we charge around $25-50 depending on difficulty and number of heads ($75 per hour). Would need the largest image size possible. 600kb don't cut it.

Example of my work.....

Most reactions

Back