Photoshop light room

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by k5MOW, Nov 26, 2015.

1. k5MOW

k5MOW No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Good morning everyone

I am in the process of getting a new computer. The new computer that is coming is definitely fast enough sorry don't remember the actual processing speed but it only has four megs of RAM. Is 4 megs of RAM enough to get started in Photoshop and light room how well will it run. I will eventually upgrade to at least eight but my question is is 4 megs of RAM enough to get started using Photoshop and light room will it run OK.

Roger

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes

3. PhotoriousMe

PhotoriousMe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes you should have no problems RAM wise. When running photo editing software like PS and LR it's always good to make sure you don't have anything else running at the same time. This will help to speed up the processing.

Dave

4. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    FWIW - Lightroom - is a proper noun (name), just one word and capitalized.
    2 GB of RAM is the minimum required, but 8 GB of RAM is recommended by Adobe. Plus 1 GB of Video RAM and OpenGL 3.3, and 2 GB of available hard disc space for use as a scratch disk.

System requirements for AdobeCC/Lightroom for Mac and Windows OS

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It will run but slowly as he fetches to and from disk.

Ram is cheap, buy more

6. nathan cox

nathan cox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have the time to wait for the computer it will run fine otherwise get more ram

7. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    4 GB RAM is enough to get started with Lightroom

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You really should get 8GB.

There's a difference between having enough memory... and having a computer that is able to do memory swapping and paging so that it will at least "work" with the limited resources it has.

When I launch Lightroom, it will take about 1.1 to 1.2 GB of RAM just from launching it. But as I "use" Lightroom and watch it's memory utilization... moving from image to image and growing my collections, applying adjustments, etc. Lightroom will quickly start to chew through more memory and will take several more GB of RAM (as I check it's memory utilization right now, it's currently using 3GB of my RAM... *just* that one process). Keep in mind your OS itself will need a lot of RAM and lots of other background processes on the machine will need RAM.

This will quickly put you in a situation where the computer doesn't have as much RAM as it wants and will force it to start "paging" and "swapping". Computers will start "paging" first... and if that doesn't free up enough RAM they'll start "swapping".

What's "paging" and "swapping"? When a computer program is running, it occupies some memory to hold the program code (the instructions) and other memory to hold the data (your information as well as information the program needs to keep track of what it's doing -- but it's not computer code.)

To free up memory, the computer frees memory in chunks called "pages". If the page holds code, and the computer isn't immediately using that particular bit of code, then it can simply free the page and make it available to another program without saving the information on the page because the page only held "code" and the code is already on your hard drive (those are the programs that you launch). So if that particular program needs those instructions again, it can simply reload that page from disk. This is the fastest way to free memory because it does not need to save the information on the page before repurposing that page for some other task.

Paging will slow the computer down, however... because while some programs are in the background and hardly doing anything, some programs will want those code pages back and that means the computer has to go out to the hard disk, find the code that previously occupied that page, and reload it. Computers that had enough memory would never had needed to drop the page in the first place -- so they'll run faster.

There is a point at which even paging cannot free enough memory... the computer gets even more desperate for memory, it's dropped every page from every program it can, and it still doesn't have enough RAM. That computer will now start "swapping".

Swapping means the computer needs to free memory occupied by your data (not just program code). It can't just free these pages and make them available to another program because that would cause you to lose data. Instead, it has to save the contents of those pages to disk. Once saved, it can free the page and make it available to another program. But remember that when the computer gets this desperate it is already starved for RAM. This means it may just be swapping out one program's page of memory so that it can swap a different program's page of memory back in. This REALLY slows down the machine. It will "work" -- but at a crawl.

If the machine has enough memory for the tasks you want to run, then it should NEVER be swapping and (no swap out or swap in activity and the swapping file should be empty.) The paging activity should mostly consist of just "PAGE INs" but no "PAGE OUTs". Simply launch a program creates "PAGE IN" activity (that's how it loads the program to run it in the first place -- even a machine with an excess of RAM will have PAGE IN activity. But if it has PAGE OUT activity then that means it was forced to drop some program code pages to make room for other program code and that's a sign that your machine is a little lean on RAM (but not yet enough to be desperate -- if you see swapping activity then your machine is desperate.)

RAM is relatively cheap. This is an upgrade that will probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 (give or take).... not hundreds of dollars.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, it will work with 4 gigs of RAM in the machine.

10. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, it will "work" -- for sufficiently limited definitions of the term "work" (it will even "work" with 2GB) -- but it will NOT "perform" well. To get it to "perform" well... use 8GB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    but yet the pics still look good (and perform well) at 4 GB of RAM

12. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

4 megs NO the operating system wont even run on 4 megs of ram.

4GB of ram yes that is fine.