Photoshop Question: Masks

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I must be missing something. Is there a way to view a layer mask over an image so that I can visualize where it is more easily? I'm thinking along the lines of how the adjustment brush works in LR, where holding your mouse over the lil' dot reveals the mask so that you can get your bearings. I've looked around, but can't seem to dig this morcel of information out of the sea that is the internet. >.<

Edit: And I mean in leiu of the Refine Mask dialog. ;)

Last edited:
If you use quick mask to do your mask, your mask will show up as red (when you paint in the black)
otherwise you have to go by the little thumbnail
But you could always just Ctrl+click your mask thumbnail then create a new layer then fill your new layer with any colour to visulize where it is and just link that layer +the mask layer together

It depends on the type of mask you are using.

If you are using Layer Masks you simply Ctrl-Click (on Windows, CMD-Click Mac?) on the mask thumbnail in the Layers panel to view the mask instead of the image. Once displayed, and use any retouch tool and any Image/Adjustment/... function to modify the mask. To return to viewing the image simply CTRL-click on any layer's image thumbnail in the Layer panel.

Plenty of different ways to view/visualize your mask.

As mentioned, Quickmask mode gives you a colored overlay of the mask....or you can just create a temporary solid color layer to do the same thing. Place it between your layers and adjust the color and opacity to whatever makes it easiest for you to see what you are doing.

Another tip: when you want to make it easier to see the edges that you are trying to select or mask...use an adjustment layer and crank the contrast way up (a levels layer works well). Then once you have the mask done, you can trash the adjustment layer.

A couple of handy shortcuts for use in the Layers Palate:

Ctrl+Click on the mask: Turns the mask into a selection.
Alt+Click on the mask: Displays the black and white mask and allows you to paint it. Good for finding missed spots.
Alt+Shift+Click on the mask: Turns on quickmask, where the mask is a semi translucent red/clear.
Shift+Click on the mask: Disables the mask. Good for a quick preview of what the layer would look like not masked at all.

Sweet! I knew I was missing something. Thanks a bunch guys. :D (I've gotta remember to futz with modifier keys while tapping around with my tablet more often.)

thanks for the short keys :) see, learn something new every day :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back